Survey Link problem

njpls

I'm running Civil 3D 2016/Win 7 Pro. Every now and then when trying to transfer a file to or from the data collector I get a error box "! Unable to open COM port 1". Normally if I reboot the machine it works again. Not today. Is there any kind of work around for this, or a fix? This is about the only part of the entire software bundle that has not changed in 20 years, it's still the old TDS transfer program. Thanks for any help or insight.

It sounds more like a hardware problem, unfortunately serial ports went a long time ago, you can access the com port via a open and read/write file which is what the TDS should be doing. Its been so long since I did that but I will have a bit of a look around. Do you have any other device you can test the com port with ?

I thought hardware also, so I moved the cable to several different USB ports, front bottom, front top, and rear of machine, no change. Not getting anything out of the USB port I was using for data transfer over the past year, hmmm. Going to check some connections, be back with the results soon. I wonder if my machine assigned COM 1 to that USB port solely?

Found the plug for the USB port disconnected from the motherboard, plugged it back in, tested it. USB port is working fine, but I still get the COM port error message.

Got it. I had to reassign the USB ports COM port number. Found the answer on Microsoft's site. Here are the directions for anyone interested.

It sounds like the USB device that you have will actually be recognized by the computer as a COM port. It may have come with drivers. If it did you will want to ensure that the accessory was properly recognized as a USB port. You can verify this by opening the Device Manager and expanding the "Ports" group. Ensure there isn't an exclamation mark next to it. If there is you may need to reinstall the driver.

If there is no exclamation mark then double-click on the icon for the port to open it. Go to th e"Port Settings" tab and click on "Advanced." There you will see a drop-down that you can change to adjust the port assignment for the USB adapter.