Linear Pattern and Global Variables

AnnekeL

Using

Solidworks 2013

Jun 2016

AutoCAD First Time on this Website

Hey I am totally new to this website so have no idea where to post questions towards advice I need. I use SW 2013 and im pretty new at it and I am totally stuck and have no idea what to do and Youtube is not much help

I am creating a staircase which uses the global variables to make it easy for different types of angle staircases instead of creating a new one everytime. anyway is there a way i can link the linear pattern to the about of steps and rails there are? so if i increase the length the steps numbers increase and so does the rails or not??

And is there a way that if i can the stairs angle that the steps spacing will decrease aswell?

Sorry for all the questions need help tho

Thanks guys

Of course the is a way :) you can do this a few different ways. One with equations & global variables, one just with linked dimensions and another using design tables. I would first try the equation manager and configurations(you can change dimensions specific to configurations).

I need to know a few things first. You need to list out the dimensions/variables that drive the model. Then list what you want to be driven off those.

Ex.

Driving variables are height and angle

Driven are number of stairs,

Fixed stair width and depth.

You could also handle this with driveworks. I have a few video series on my site for that but lets work it out in solidworks first.

YAY awesome :)

So the height was created by the angle as the staircase need to suit different angles, 26.5', 35' and 45'.

I used the length of 4000mm

Height 1994.33mm

Angle 26.5'

There is a total steps of 13 on this set

stair width is 800mm

depth is 38mm

The file is to big or i would have uploaded it.

thats a tiny staircase! 38mm deep and 800mm wide? 1.5 Inch deep x 31.5 inch wide? I think standards dictate 9inch(228.6mm) x 34in(863.6mm). So was that supposed to be 338mm x 800mm?

How do you determine the distance between stairs? meaning if the length of the staircase increases there needs to be a rule in place to add/remove stairs from the pattern. Does it need to be evenly spaced or do you need to drive a specific number between the Rise of each stair?

I feel stupid now, im super new at this and must have misunderstood your question before. the overall width is 950mm, the steps alone are 800mm wide. regarding the depth i dont understand what you mean.

I have found another way to do this and it worked but now im stuck with the problem of adjusting the angle of the staircase but the length and additional steps are working fine

I worked how how to do this and i will make a video on how to do it. I just can't get to it tonight.

For the depth, the stairs are 800mm wide, but how deep are they where your foot goes. Most stairs are about 9 inches deep(228mm) So your stair step would be 228x800x25.4mm thick?

Then i need to know what you want to update in the pattern(to drive it). For example when you change the angle or the length of the entire staircase do you need to keep the same height between stairs? Or the same distance(rise vs run). If your pattern(number of stairs) changes with a distance(RUN) then the RISE will be driven. If you need to keep a certain RISE, then the RUN will be driven. Hopefully that makes sense. I just want to figure out which physical dimensions need to stay the same. Typically the stairs(if they were 9in deep) would overhang the one below it by 1/4 to 1/2". But since you are changing angle and distance i want to be sure i understand the problem before i take the time to make a video.

stairDim.jpg

The recommended maximum rise here in the U.S. should be no more than 8.25 inches (21 cm). The minimum run should be 9 inches (23 cm).

The recommended maximum rise here in the U.S. should be no more than 8.25 inches (21 cm). The minimum run should be 9 inches (23 cm).

If we hold that true the angle is fixed at 42.5deg roughly. Unless im not seeing something, how could you control the angle and rise and run. Its 2 of the 3 right? If you set rise and run the angle is driven by that. If you set the angle you can only set either the rise to the next step in the pattern or the run to the next.

We (the company I work for) doesn't worry about the angle; just rise and run. The angle is what the angle is.

We (the company I work for) doesn't worry about the angle; just rise and run. The angle is what the angle is.

I agree with you! Just trying to solve the OP question. Only thing I can see is maybe concrete stairs on a hill/slope that would adjust like this.

Annekel, I still need a bit more info from you if you would like me to try and explain this topic.

You have 3 variables and can only control 2. Rise, Run and Angle. You already stated you wanted angle but what controls the stair position? If you want the equally spaced along the distance you still need some sort of statement to determine when another instance is added to the pattern.

Ex. If the stairs go along a 100mm line and you want them equally spaced I need a minimum or maximum distance to control if statements.