AutoCAD 2016 Glitches

The Nickster

Hi all,

I'm using AutoCAD 2016 and noticed a few differences from ACAD 2015... Is there a way to remove the "Start" tab from the tab selections? In 2015 there was an "x" on it so you could close it when you didn't need it. Apparently in 2016 they removed said "x" and I cannot find a way to remove the tab. It is more of a personal preference thing but it still annoys me.

Also with 2016, I have noticed that when you xref one drawing into another, if there are any bound items in the drawing you are xref'ing in, 'visretain' set to (1) does not work and embedded text cannot be frozen off. Initially if you freeze the layer it will disappear, however, when you close and save and reopen the file, the items you froze off show back up, thus creating a vicious cycle of annoyance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Start tab. It's now controlled by a system variable which needs to be reset to "0". The variable is STARTMODE.

Also with 2016, I have noticed that when you xref one drawing into another, if there are any bound items in the drawing you are xref'ing in, 'visretain' set to (1) does not work and embedded text cannot be frozen off. Initially if you freeze the layer it will disappear, however, when you close and save and reopen the file, the items you froze off show back up, thus creating a vicious cycle of annoyance.

It's not really clear what you have but it sounds like you have an XREF bound to an XREF, thus making a block of the original XREF and you are having trouble controlling the layers.

I think you really mean that you have a nested XREF, not bound.

Which is it?

It's not really clear what you have but it sounds like you have an XREF bound to an XREF, thus making a block of the original XREF and you are having trouble controlling the layers.

I think you really mean that you have a nested XREF, not bound.

Which is it?

Bound with nested objects I guess.

Let me see if I can explain this so it makes sense.

Let's say we have DWG 1 and DWG 2

DWG 1 is open, you type in 'xref' go to xref dialogue box and right click to attach, select DWG 2. DWG 2 contains xrefs within it that are bound and exploded. After xref'ing DWG 2 into DWG 1, you "LAYFRZ" the entities you don't want and remove them from DWG 1. Save and close DWG 1, open DWG 1 and the entities that you froze off prior to closing, reappear.

Clearer but still not quite crystal. It would be much easier if you posted two files, base and XREF, that exhibit the behavior. No need to post the entire drawing, just enough to show the behavior.