Twist along path method of thread cutting tutorial

gotchy

Does anyone here have a link for a video tutorial of the Twist along path method of thread cutting. I have revolved a shaft for a toy and there are two protrusions on the shaft that I need to cut a thread on.

Thanking you is,

Gotchy

Image01537.jpg

Do you need to physical threads? They arent typically needed except for visualization unless its molded on. If its molded on you need to know the method and limitations for which it will be molded.

I have done these videos before but I dont think any of them are public. The basic method is to draw a line(axis of your bolt) a little before to a little after where the threads are. Then from the base of that line(in a new sketch) draw a line from that point to the major OD of your thread. This line can be used to sweep a surface for a path or make it construction and draw the profile of your thread.

The key here is to sweep the line or profile along the revolve axis line uaing the "twist along path" method. In there specify what you need in terms of degrees , turns etc.

There is another method of drawing a circle that is the major OD of your thread. Then use Curves-helix to make your path. From there you need to either make a plane from the end of the helix or sketch on a plan that intersects the start of the helix for your profile. Note that the orientation of the profile does affect things because the profile angle changes. I think the straight method is closer to cutting thread on a lathe.

I sincerely thank you for your response.

The simulated threads offered by Solidworks are in no way acceptable, they must be cut threads

and appear exactly the way they would if they were cut by a machinest. I know that real threads

use a lot of the computer resources.

You say that you have made videos, but don't know if they are public or not, I don't know what that means.

What do we have to do to see your video? Our class instructor admits to not having been exposed to this method.

Thanks again,

Andy Gotchovsky

Andy, some videos I make exclusively for resellers and they provide them to clients. My videos right now are all at the site in my link below. Solidbox.tv.

Fyi solidworks 2016 cuts physical threads.

What thread pitch are you looking to cut?

Another thing you can do is check out hardware from McMaster carr. A lot of those have real threads drawn.

If you let me know the thread size you are working with(pitch, root and major diameter) ill try and make an example.

What version of solidworks are you using?

shift1313,

Many thanks for your response to this request.

We use mostly version 2013. This particular thread is not a standard thread, it is 3/8" -20. For the 20 pitch I would use a three sided polygon with a .044" base and .006" flat at the apex of the polygon

for the profile. I used that once for the standard helical method of threading in Solidworks.

We get all of our technical information from the Henry Ford Machine Shop Manual.

Andy Gotchovsky

zaphod

I sincerely thank you for your intent, I'm sure it was pure, however I don't even understand how your file would relate to my problem. Please understand, I am a newbie.

Many thanks again,

Andy Gotchovsky

shift1313,

Many thanks for your response to this request.

We use mostly version 2013. This particular thread is not a standard thread, it is 3/8" -20. For the 20 pitch I would use a three sided polygon with a .044" base and .006" flat at the apex of the polygon

for the profile. I used that once for the standard helical method of threading in Solidworks.

We get all of our technical information from the Henry Ford Machine Shop Manual.

Andy Gotchovsky

Ill try to make a video tonight. Can you share that model so I can it as the example in the video?

shift1313,

Thanks loads for the effort you put forth for us in need of instruction. Your audio-video method is just about as effective as it is going to get.

Andy Gotchovsky

Toy Shaft.SLDPRT

shift1313,

What a fabulous tutorial!!! You have no idea how you have helped my class, and eased the minds of a lot of us who just were not catching on to some things the way we should have been.

The detail that you go into along your journey opens up a lot of areas and answers a lot of questions that were not even asked. I cannot think of a way to thank you enough.

For all of us, thank you Sir,

Andrew Gotchovsky

No problem Andy! The foundation is soooooo important and often overlooked so I usually make a point of expanding on the topics. Let me know if you have any trouble replicating it.