flexible strap with gravity?

3dCADguy

Quick question:

I want to create an assembly in which a nylon webbed strap (like the one you tie stuff down with in trucks or the TRX straps) will be flexible. Is this possible in Inventor or Solidworks? I want it so move as the two things its connected to move, and have it be the limiting factor to stop the things from moving when it's fully stretched. I see a lot of stuff with cables online but I would like to accurately simulate the actual part I'm using, which is a webbed strap, if possible with maybe a spline and driving the spline and maybe sweeping a profile over the spline? Would something like that work? I'm a noob so if I butchered that i'm sorry.

Yes but not exactly. What you described with a spline is correct. You can dimension the length of the spline and thats the important part.

In terms of gravity you can only do that in a motion study so nothing really in the assembly unless you get creative and add some driven relations to "weight" a point on the spline.

I made a series on this type of thing but its not one of my free ones.

https://www.solidbox.tv/course/solidworks-flexible-cables/

In my opinion Configurations are the way to go.

Limit mates may work depending upon the design.

Config 1: Show Condition 1 (whatever that is...)

Config 2: Show Condition 2 (ditto)

etc...

I responded in your Inventor thread but wanted to put it here too.

i did a quick sketch block test in Solidworks. I didn't have a mic hooked up but you can see how the spline behaves by default.

Notice that in reality the strap would actually push itself out of the way. Its going to take a lot to make that work. This spline would fail as a sweep when it crosses itself.