cannot enter commands from keyboard

Ski_Me

I can no longer enter command from my keyboard directly. I have to use the command line. I also cannot enter distance either when drawing a line. I must have disabled a variable or something but I don't know which one.

Well yeah that plus other things like the vport command I used to able just type it and envoke the command but now I have to have the command line open at the bottom of the screen to due any command. I did look at the drafting settings and it doesn't look like anything has been changed in the dynamic input tab. Not sure what changed from yesterday when it was working fine till today and now it's not working. Something must have been turned off but I don't know what.

I'm not sure I follow you. You don't want to use the command line or dynamic input but you still want to type the command? Anything to do with command aliases?

copied and pasted from AutoCad Help.

DYNMODE (System Variable)

Turns Dynamic Input features on and off.

Type: Integer

Saved in: Registry

Initial value: 3

When all features are on, the context governs what is displayed.

When DYNMODE is set to a negative value, the Dynamic Input features are not turned on, but the setting is stored.

0 All Dynamic Input features, including dynamic prompts, off

1 Pointer input on

2 Dimensional input on

3 Both pointer input and dimensional input on

If dynamic prompts are on ( DYNPROMPT is set to 1), they are displayed when DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3.

When dimensional input is turned on (DYNMODE = 2 or 3), the program switches to pointer input when you enter a comma or an angle bracket (

When DYNMODE is set to 1, 2, or 3, you can turn off all features temporarily by holding down the temporary override key, F12.

Settings are on the Dynamic Input tab in the Drafting Settings dialog box.

Thanks Dana that was it. I remembered I let a coworker use my station, who is not proficient in autocad, to open a cad file that was converted from a PDF. That's when it got changed.

You might want to acquaint yourself with the terminology for the features you are using re: Dynamic Input. It helps when describing problems.

Sorry but I'm a one man show here and I have to stay on top of all the fire alarm stuff from design to installation and final acceptance. I know what Dynamic Input is but with everything else I have to do trying to remember what every feature and command there is in autocad is challenging.

Just remember, dynamic input allows you to not need the command line. It covers ALL commands. It is not what they are, but how they are entered.

• 6 years later...

Hi, I have the same problem, but in my case even though Dynamic Input is set to 3, it did not fix my problem. I still can´t type in commands directly from my keyboard. I have to put my cursor directly in the command line.

• 2 weeks later...

The variable DYNPROMPT must be set to '1' (one).  Otherwise the prompt near the cursor will not be displayed, and apparently it will not take input unless it is displayed even if DYNMODE is set to 3.

Edited by Dana W
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys 

Right off the bat your thread has solved my problem.

I too was having an issue where i couldn't for instance use Dynamic Input to start using commands without having

to hover over the command line

I started by checking the Dynamic input variables and even with this set to 3 it was not working. I still had to hover over 

command line to get it to do anything. 

With DYNMODE set to 3 and then DYNPROMT set to 1 the combination of these settings has solved my problem.

Many thanks 

James 

On 2/7/2023 at 8:40 PM, jhindley said:

Hi Guys 

Right off the bat your thread has solved my problem.

I too was having an issue where i couldn't for instance use Dynamic Input to start using commands without having

to hover over the command line

I started by checking the Dynamic input variables and even with this set to 3 it was not working. I still had to hover over 

command line to get it to do anything. 

With DYNMODE set to 3 and then DYNPROMT set to 1 the combination of these settings has solved my problem.

Many thanks 

James 

Hello, 

I have the same problem, I have set:
dynmode = 3 and dynprompt = 1 and dynamic input does not work for me, when I start writing numbers the field disappears.
So I can't enter e.g. move or copy value :-(((
I don't know how to fix it anymore, my system is macOS Ventura 13.2.
Please help.

Mira P. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same issue. Tried the DYNMODE=3 & DYNPROMPT=1 but did not work. I'm unable to type anything as the field box disappears before i can key any command and it doesn't register anything i type. I have to hover over the command line to input data or command. I can only attribute this to the updated system macOS Ventura 13.2.1, as it was working fine until the update. Nothing else has changed!

Please help!

Wendy

I have the same issue! Whenever I type a command on the screen, the first letter shows up and then disappears. Commands only seem to work when I use the command line. I've tried changing all the dynamic input settings, restart, restore default AutoCAD settings, etc, nothing seems to fix the problem. Help!

2 hours ago, floripander said:

I have the same issue! Whenever I type a command on the screen, the first letter shows up and then disappears. Commands only seem to work when I use the command line. I've tried changing all the dynamic input settings, restart, restore default AutoCAD settings, etc, nothing seems to fix the problem. Help!

FILEDIA and set at '1'?

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue.  

OS Ventura 13.2

AutoCAD LT

DYNMODE=3

DYNPROMPT=1

FILEDIA=1

When the cursor is in the drawing field, when I start typing a command, the Dynamic Prompt box next to the cursor briefly flashes the character I typed, but nothing shows up on the command line.  I need to click into the command line bar to be able to enter any command.  

Solved.  The Ventura update forced Autodesk to to an hot fix update to 2023.2.1.  They told me this is the last update before they release their 2024 version.

I had a problem when I selected 'Check for Updates' in the menu, nothing popped up.  Don't know if that bug is just me, but regardless. go on the Autodesk accounts page and look for the update.