Need help modeling a sailboat hull

davidoff

I despeerately need some assistance to model a hull of a sailboat. If a guru here could help me I would appreeciat it.

Ahmad

You posted your thread in the Solidworks forum yet your profile indicates you are using AutoCAD 2000i. What program are you actually going to use?

I thought the question was which programm I use the most. I am just starting with solidworks. versoin 10. I will make the sailboat with solidworks

Ahmad

You might want to change your profile then as to avoid any confusion. Thank you.

You might also wish to try an Internet search using the following criteria...

"solidworks"+"model boat hull"

I will never be mistaken for a Guru, however I do think I can help you. I don't have a sailboat tutorial but I do have a tutorial on the hull design of a canoe, by Ben Eadie. The only difference between the two is the shape of your Table of Offsets will be the shape you sketch, (sailboat hull shape) versus that of a canoe. The basic principle of modeling the hull does not change.

Only problem is that my tutorial is over 100MB in size and therefore too large for email. Send me your email address at lotec@cox.net and I will send you a password , user name, and IP numbers so that you can log into my Cloud and download your tutorial. My Cloud is very fast. You will need an FTP program and if you don't have one you can download one for free at http://www.ftpcommander.com. Very easy to use.

Hope this helps,

Chubarka

Thats very generous Chubarka!

I would like to know a bit more. You really haven't said much.

Why do you desperately need a sailboat hull? Im sure you csn download some on http://www.grabcad.com.

Are you designing a new one?

Are you tasked this by your school or work?

One of my clients is in the Yacht industry and they use specific design software to determine the shape of the hull bssed on some input parameters. Designing a boat properly is no minor task. You are talking hundreds to thousands of hours depending on what size and type you are looking for.

2nd this opinion

One of my clients is in the Yacht industry and they use specific design software to determine the shape of the hull

Look at America's Cup when the wing keel was introduced you can bet they spent into the Million's inn the design.