How to talk someone into implementing the vault...

kpyoung333

Working with a company that does not use the vault. They have 1000+ parts and 200+ assemblies. If the vault is installed, activated, how easy is it to upload all and have them work and not break relations and constraints? The last time I started vault from scratch and didn't upload any old files. Will this be as simple as I hope? I really want them to get the revision management and copy design implemented into everyday use cause it's awesome. Thanks!

Its not hard at all as long as the parts and assemblies are all valid. Of course there are other factors, but you haven't given enough information to decipher that.

In order to load those files you can use a combination of Autoloader for Vault and Inventor's Task Scheduler to get them all in pretty quick. When I have to do a large data load of around 50k files it takes me about a week or two depending on how many issues arise in the data. The biggest issue you will see is the following 4 issues during a mass load...

1. Files not Migrated

2. Missing Files from Workspace

3. Different than Expected Issues

4. Corrupt Files

All of these will stop the Autoloader but that doesn't mean you can't get the majority of them in there with Task Scheduler and then clean up whats left manually.

When I implement Vault it usually takes about 3 days to get all the ducks in a row (install, configure, licensing, documentation, etc) and about one to two days of training if desired. Most resellers offer these services and some are better than others. You don't have to use the one you bought the software from though.

Excellent info Mark, that is what I was thinking. They have an even larger autocad database, I've never thought of it but would the vault work for it in the same fashion? Another friend of mine uses Revit and some cloud structure where they all work on it at the same time, but there is no accountability or revision structure, just build on the same model. Am I correct in assuming that the vault will work similarly across all autodesk products? I can't live without it here so just wanting to get all the info I can before I start lighting fires.