Setting up increments or distance in a Dynamic block

jaff

I created a simple 2D plan view dynamic block of a steel beam in a zero layer (white line) and the beam flange in a non-plot layer (gray rectangle). I have a problem with the block when I set my increments or distance for the flange (gray rectangle) the block does not behave the way I want to. I want the rectangle to stretch from 4 inches to 16 inches at increments of 2". My goal is to stretch the rectangle at 4", 6", 8"....16". I see that when I stretch the rectangle the stretch distance is taking from the bottom of the rectangle and remains there no matter what I do. How do I fix this? See attached.

Thanks,

AutoCAD LT 2017,

Windows 10

Steel Beam - 01.jpg

STEEL BEAM.dwg

Edited by jaff

Just to clarify: You want the "middle line" to be central between the other two, and for the total height to vary from 4" to 16" at 2" intervals?

dJE

Do you intend to use the same flange thickness on this diverse range of beams?

Would you consider using MultiLine styles instead of a dynamic block?

I created a simple 2D plan view dynamic block of a steel beam in a zero layer (white line) and the beam flange in a non-plot layer (gray rectangle). I have a problem with the block when I set my increments or distance for the flange (gray rectangle) the block does not behave the way I want to. I want the rectangle to stretch from 4 inches to 16 inches at increments of 2". My goal is to stretch the rectangle at 4", 6", 8"....16". I see that when I stretch the rectangle the stretch distance is taking from the bottom of the rectangle and remains there no matter what I do. How do I fix this? See attached.

Thanks,

AutoCAD LT 2017,

Windows 10

i could see that u invest time for explaining but u assume to get help of detailers that acctualy understand you. so i am not.

anyway that what i get after 10 times of reading your post.SBMf.dwg

No, I intend to use different flange width (not thickness). MultiLine styles wont work because I want to add visibility states to the dynamic block showing symbols such as moment connection, pin connection, etc. Once I achieve my goal I am planning to upload it for sharing. This is something I can do in this website, isn't it?

Samifox,

Is confusing what I was trying to explain here. I just basically want to stretch the rectangle using it as dynamic block. I would like the rectangle to stretch from the original height of 4" to 16" at increments of 2". I looked at your SBMf.dwg but does not have any dynamic features. Did you do anything?

Samifox,

Is confusing what I was trying to explain here. I just basically want to stretch the rectangle using it as dynamic block. I would like the rectangle to stretch from the original height of 4" to 16" at increments of 2". I looked at your SBMf.dwg but does not have any dynamic features. Did you do anything?

its was produced with the wblock command, dont open it ,on an exsiting drawing, type Insert and select the file.

Hi.

STEPS:

1. Make annotative block for middle line.

2. Make non-annotative block for rectangle (with the line).

3. Add Chained Position Parameter to the line.

4. Linear Parameter.

5. Add first Stretch Action with the Position Parameter as object and set multiplier to 0.5

6. Lastly, add Second Stretch Action with the rectangle and first stretch action as objects.

Solution as per http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/dynamic-blocks/stretch-dynamic-block-and-keep-center-dot-in-center-even-after-a/td-p/3383837

Here's a file.:sleeping:

Sample.dwg

• 1 month later...

Hi, another structural draftsman here so I thought I would chime in. If you setup your dynamic block using dimensional constraints rather than parametric constraints then you can simply copy/paste your block geometry numbers from the AISC website. Much faster, and once the AISC updates then it is much easier to update your block as well. This could be adapted for an elevation view as well. Just a thought.

Example of my beam section block.

beamsection.png

• 9 months later...

Iconeo,

would you please refer me to a good dynamic block tutorial that explains more about the dimensional constrains. I am having trouble creating dimensional constrains and I wonder if that is because I am using ACADLT rather than the full version.

Thanks

LT can't create constraints, in a dynamic block you only have parameters and actions. Hopefully you already have your original question sorted out.

LT can't create constraints, in a dynamic block you only have parameters and actions. Hopefully you already have your original question sorted out.

Thank you steven-g