Tree Design

Madruga_SP

Got to an orthogonal Side or Front View, try and figure out where you want to put these rebar rings, along the Y axis, meaning the height.

Obviously that information will be critical in determining the diameter of the rings which you will need to make.

In an Isometric View that would likely be your Z axis, but don't figure this out in isometric.

Once you decide how far up the structure you want them to be, draw a horizontal polyline.

Look at the screenshots, depicting making a single one of the external rings.

In the first I am determining what the inside dimension of the ring will be, after which I OFFSET by 6mm to create another concentric ring, which has a 12mm larger diameter, which will be used to define the sweep path of the center of the 12mm rebar.

I then copy those over to the centerline of the trellis, and use 3DRotate command to rotate them by 90 degrees along the X axis, so they are horizontal to the ground below them.

Then I created a circle with diameter of 6mm, and I swept it with the SWEEP command along the outer of the two circles, which represents the centerline of the rebar.

Repeat adnauseum, all the other rings can be done in the same way, just use your VIEW commands to orient your perspective, to best suit whatever you are doing. I would suggest Front, Top and Isometric SW, but any one is fine. when you are sweeping or manipulating the objects, stick with Isometric, as much as possible.

I hope that helps you, I have had a very full day, and am going to sign off now. Good luck, Make sure you READ THE COMMANDLINE PROMPTS as you work. :)

measuring for the tree hoops.jpg

path for 12mm rebar sweep.jpg

preparing to sweep the 12mm rebar.JPG

new swept rebar hoop.JPG

trellis ring sweep progression.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Madruga_SP

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• resullins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got to an orthogonal Side or Front View, try and figure out where you want to put these rebar rings, along the Y axis, meaning the height.

Obviously that information will be critical in determining the diameter of the rings which you will need to make.

In an Isometric View that would likely be your Z axis, but don't figure this out in isometric.

Once you decide how far up the structure you want them to be, draw a horizontal polyline.

Look at the screenshots, depicting making a single one of the external rings.

In the first I am determining what the inside dimension of the ring will be, after which I create another ring which has a 12mm larger diameter, which will be used to define the sweep path of the center of the 12mm rebar.

I then copy those over to the centerline of the trellis, and use 3DRotate command to rotate them by 90 degrees along the X axis, so they are horizontal to the ground below them.

Then I created a circle with diameter of 6mm, and I swept it with the SWEEP command along the outer of the two circles, which represents the centerline of the rebar.

Repeat adnauseum, all the other rings can be done in the same way, just use your VIEW commands to orient your perspective, to best suit whatever you are doing. I would suggest Front, Top and Isometric SW, but any one is fine. when you are sweeping or manipulating the objects, stick with Isometric, as much as possible.

I hope that helps you, I have had a very full day, and am going to sign off now. Good luck, Make sure you READ THE COMMANDLINE PROMPTS as you work. :)

Thanks Dadgad! :)

Excellent tutorial!!

I'll try this out later and I let you know.

Thank in advance

This could all be figured out even more easily by using your 2D drawing too, on the flat, in order to determine your ring elevations and required diameters.

Just need to factor into the diameters of any circles which you create to use as paths, that you need to add the diameter of the circle (material), as you will be sweeping along the centerpoint of the finished 3D ring, and you will need it to be clear of the elements which create the Tree shape.

As your lines in the 2D represent the centers of those 3D Solids, you could use the OFFSET command on each of them twice, offsetting to both the inside and the outside by the RADIUS of the material you created making the upright members. In that way the innermost and outermost lines would represent the edges of your 3D solid.

Good luck with it.

Read your commandline. :)

A couple screenshots in support of sizing the hoops, and generating your sweep path circles, on your 2D starting sketch. :|

using 2D to size hoops.jpg

new 3D hoop on 2D layout.jpg

Thank very much my friend!

I really appreciate your help :D

I'm working in a project, and when I finish I'll try to do put these rebar rings.

Thank you for the help!

test.jpg