Portable Apps: Anyone else ever play with these?

f700es

neat idea, but i guess you would have to move all your apps to one usb dongle, or have several... could be a messy experience.

Then again what if you lost your usb drive or worse stood on it..that would be a major hassle....you would soon revert back to the old installed apps as most people are inherantly lazy!

neat idea, but i guess you would have to move all your apps to one usb dongle, or have several... could be a messy experience.

Then again what if you lost your usb drive or worse stood on it..that would be a major hassle....you would soon revert back to the old installed apps as most people are inherantly lazy!

Yeah, not a perfect solution for a problem that's not really there...:huh:

but it is nice to have portable FireFox on my USB drive and have my favorite sites with me no matter where I go.

• 1 year later...

I don't think so. Most CAD software installs files into the window's system folders and therefore cannot be portable. I'll look and see if there are any but I don't think so :(

you can get a portable autocad version, but tbh portable software is a frigging nightmare (well is/was with u3)

what happened to me was, it installed the flashdrive on the host pc as a hard drive and it caused me no end of grief with drive letters (i actually lost the use of my dvd drive because of it)

not sure how the above link works though as this was using smart u3

you can get a portable autocad version, but tbh portable software is a frigging nightmare (well is/was with u3)

what happened to me was, it installed the flashdrive on the host pc as a hard drive and it caused me no end of grief with drive letters (i actually lost the use of my dvd drive because of it)

not sure how the above link works though as this was using smart u3

Not doubting you James but I would have to see it to believe it. Acad writes back to too many different directories for this to be possible. Any links on this?

No need for a portable CAD, try the new Project Draw online application. Recently released into the wild by Autodesk Labs.

Huh, neat I guess. Anyone here remember AutoDesk Actrix Technical? It was an AutoDesk version of Visio. It died off several years ago. This new one seems very cumbersome but I guess it's due to it's web-based engine.

Thanks for the link David :)

Very interesting!

Ok, I found one. It is not quite ready for prime time but it is REAL close to an LT like AutoCAD. 2 functions that I have found not to work are TRIM and HATCH. Not having TRIM is a big problem but hopfully it is on the way.

www.litecad.com

Oh, seems to work from a USB drive as well.

• 1 month later...

I have I-Flapp on my USB similar to this one, its pretty cool! I take my MS Office, PowerPoint, photoshop everywhere I go. These applications & data are accessible from any PC running windows. By plugging in this drive, the applications can be launched and files can be opened, modified and saved on any nearby PC running Windows. The Safe Removal feature of this software removes all traces of information from the guest PC.

http://www.i-flapp.com/

• 1 year later...

You could always run a virtual OS from a USB flash drive and then install AutoCAD there. I run the free version of MoJoPac (google it) on a 4GB flash drive (MojoPac is a small size OS based on WinXP) it has most of the windows folders and its own registry. I have installed several large programs to it including AutoCad 2006 and it worked fine. Only problem is it will take forever to install due to the limited speed of USB and it will be slow to startup. But once it comes up I haven't had any problems.

Dznytoy

Leaves nothing on the host computer.

Not exactly true. If you run applications such as java, shockwave, realplayer, etc. bits and pieces are left behind on the host machine. Not a big deal unless you are paranoid about leaving any traces.... :wink:

Not exactly true. If you run applications such as java, shockwave, realplayer, etc. bits and pieces are left behind on the host machine. Not a big deal unless you are paranoid about leaving any traces.... :wink:

I'll have to check on that. Not doubting you, I just am not sure. Those are apps (java and such) run off the host OS on the hdd, not through the app on the USB. If that is your meaning then yes correct but this is not what I implied. I was referring to just the web browser and what it leaves behind, nothing. Or nothing that I have found yet :wink:

I'll have to check on that. Not doubting you, I just am not sure. Those are apps (java and such) run off the host OS on the hdd, not through the app on the USB. If that is your meaning then yes correct but this is not what I implied. I was referring to just the web browser and what it leaves behind, nothing. Or nothing that I have found yet :wink:

Yea - we are on the same page....

For example, if you use FireFoxPortable and then watch some videos on YouTube, remnants of the youtube session (from Flash) are stored behind on the host machine under %userprofile%\Application Data\Macromedia - which I suppose are just the Flash settings from that URL's player... and there are other things like AV log files, system log files.... for the extreme paranoid :geek: