obtaining dimensions of a profile in a section view.

dg87

Hello,

I am modelling a volute from from an old hand drawn drawing and I need to create a lofted cut from one plane (which is available) to another (which is not available). I have estimated the section view profile as shown in the picture view to be approximately 47mm from the CL, however the trouble that I am having is that I am unable to draw an accurate sketch of the shown profile due to it being a section view cut of a rotational cut.

I only have a few months experience with this program so I would like to ask a little help in obtaining these dimensions.

http://imgur.com/IyPUgyn image isn't showing so this is the link

Any advice is much appreciated.

I am a little unclear on what dimensions you need. You are looking at making a 2d drawing and need to measure at specific distances? Or do you need a volume of the cavity?

dg87. If you can fill in some blanks i might be able to get you on the right path. Are you trying to make a sketch for the cavity, or do you have a file and you are trying to get dimensions from it? Typically with something like this i would assume its a "shell" or an offset of the external geometry.

If you have a file and you are trying to reverse engineer it you have two main options in the modeling environment.

1. Curves menu found on Features or Surfaces tab. Split Line will let you break up faces, in this case using the Intersection method. it will take a plane(you select a standard plane or need to create a plane where you want to dimension) and then select the faces you need to split. This will give you edges you can then grab. Keep in mind if they are splines you may not get to grab points you want to measure.

2. First create that same plane where you want to measure and then go into a sketch. In the sketch use the down arrow below "convert entities" and use the "Intersection Curve" option. This does the same thing as that Split line except this doesn't split faces, it just makes a curve/edge. If something was made with lines, arcs etc that's what you will get. If you are dealing with an organic shape transition like a loft you will probably get something less useful.

you could also do a section view in a drawing and dimension it. Again it really depends on what the edges are made with.

If thats not what you are looking for please let us know exactly what you are trying to do.