Dynamic block to normal block

DesmetMartin

Hello all,

I have the following issue:

When working with dynamic blocks, the file get's bigger fast.

We have huge drawings in our company due to big projects.

This is why I'm asking if it's possible to do something like an 'explode' on your dynamic blocks but without losing the 'blocks'.

So if you have 3 dynamic blocks -> EXPLODE -> 3 sepperated blocks

Without changing anything.

Can you help me?

PS. Block file in attachment.

TestBlock.dwg

Thanks!

I doubt the file size problem has anything to do with the dynamic block and I would say there is absolutely no need to explode your dynamic block.

Your drawing with 100 copies of your test block. File size: 388KB.

TestBlock100.jpg

If what you said in your first post was true then the file size should have been substantially bigger right?

I think part of the problem is the "junk" in your drawing. The other part of the problem might be the nine layouts but that is questionable at the moment without further investigation. If I strip out the layouts and retain the 100 blocks I can get the file size down to a mere 68KB.

Addendum: After going back through your drawing, specifically the layouts, I think the increase in file size is due, in part, to the logo (seen in the image below) that is part of each title block and border block.

STOW logo.JPG

If you strip out everything except one instance of this logo, save it as a drawing and check the file Properties you'll see it is approximately 80KB. Create eight more copies, save it as a new drawing, and check its file Properties you'll see the file size grow to approximately 248KB. And that's just the logo all by itself. It does not include any of the linework or text that goes into creating each of the title blocks and borders.

BTW...I'd recommend opening each title block and border drawing separately and running the OVERKILL command on it. You'll find duplicate and overlapping objects of 2 & 15, 1 & 4, 10 & 4 and 2 and 16.

I'd also recommend running the -PURGE (note the dash in front of the letter "P") command on your drawing (i.e. - Testblock-1) purging Regapps first then repeating the command but doing a purge > All. A clean drawing is a healthy drawing.

Finally, run the AUDIT command to check for and fix any database errors just as added insurance.

Well that's my assessment any way.

Edited by ReMark

The block you have included isn't dynamic, dynamic blocks can bloat a drawing when you start having different settings for each block, but you would then end up with many different blocks in the drawing to make up for all the dynamic variations, so it might not solve your issue.

@ReMark

Thanks for the fast response.

I've did what you said on a 'big' drawing we have here in the company.

(It's a 7Layout drawing)

It has no that much dynamic blocks but it's still big (11.974 KB).

I did a -PURGE & an AUDIT.

No overkill in the drawing itself because we need the underlaying lines, I did do it in our title block's.

So we went from:

OLD: 11.974 KB

to

NEW: 10.793 KB

That's not such a big difference right?

What should I do?

Is there another way to get the logo on the title blocks?

Thanks!

I agree; that is not much of a drop. Without access to the actual drawing you just referred to I can't say for sure what is happening or not happening re: file size.

Re: logo. I'd have to think on that.

Yes I get that, but due company security of our products & drawings I can't show you the drawing.. Sorry.

Is there another way to get the logo on the title blocks?

We work in entirely different fields so the likelihood of me stealing anything from your drawing is zero. And I certainly would not post the drawing or share it with anyone else.

Re: logo on title blocks. The only thing that briefly crossed my mind is xref. I don't have any first hand experience using xrefs. I'd have to run a test which, come to think of it, you could probably do yourself.

Wow yeah!

I've put an xref with PNG from the logo in the Title block and the difference between the 2 files = 27.7 KB!

I could send you the .dwg's only to you with e-mail?