Introducing people to AutoCAD

SAFeSTeR

My company have a couple of school children on work experience attending our office next week and have asked me to give them an 'introduction to CAD' which is to last about 4 hours.

I have no problem training people on CAD, but I'm a little stumped about how to go about this task. I'd like to give them a general idea of what CAD is used for rather than how we use it within our company, although I will of course touch upon this.

So, I'm after a few idea's how I can start and a direction to take along with showing them examples, nothing too technical as I've been told these kids aren't the brightest.

Has anyone done anything similar and can help me out a little, please?

Attention span will be about 15 minutes if just watching you. I would have a set of instructions for them that would let them get hands on time, otherwise it will be a real snooze for all involved. Maybe have several sets for them to go through with their name on there and have them print them out to take with them.

I am thinking of the kits they sell in the States at places like Lowe's Hardware where the boards are already cut, the kids nail them together, paint, etc. They can feel like they made something.

Maybe one could be a cone or pyramid that they draw, print out, cut and fold. Things like that. This all depends on how old we are talking about, so make it age appropriate.

What age group are we talking?

I'd caution against a four hour lecture as you'll quickly lose them. Think "show and tell" but also think "hands on". Do you do any 3D work?

I've actually had several interns that I have had to teach AutoCAD to over my years with this company and we're talking for three or four months at a time. How'd you like that assignment?

Edited by ReMark

Age is really the thing to set your curriculum on.

I might include some cool videos of CAD stuff. I'm sure there is something flashy enough on youtube.

Def got to be hands on for part of it. The idea of plotting a personalized poster is a great idea or if you have a 3d printer that would be way cooler.

As part of it i might do something like showing them a picture of an object or shape and have them describe it using words and then. Then have them cad it up and see which way is the most accurate/easiest way to describe the object.

Depending on what the goals of teaching them are i might use something like https://www.tinkercad.com/ as they will be able to use it from their own computers and its web based. And its pretty simple to use. Unless the goal is to show the AutoCAD its self. TinkerCAD also allows you to export to mincraft. Im not sure if mincraft is still as big as it has been but it might be a cool way to go.

Another thing you might try. Give them all a simple object and ask them to freehand sketch the top, front and side views. The object should be small enough to be easily held in one hand. Then demonstrate how it would be drawn using AutoCAD after which you can ask for a willing volunteer to give it a go.

Draw one of their rooms at home show line arc circle offset and trim and then maybe simple 3d primitives.

I have a school student sitting on a computer next to me right now drawing a road car parking plan taught him how to use line and offset, trim, hatch. I will add to this post shortly the final result

Attention span will be about 15 minutes if just watching you. I would have a set of instructions for them that would let them get hands on time, otherwise it will be a real snooze for all involved. Maybe have several sets for them to go through with their name on there and have them print them out to take with them.

I am thinking of the kits they sell in the States at places like Lowe's Hardware where the boards are already cut, the kids nail them together, paint, etc. They can feel like they made something.

Maybe one could be a cone or pyramid that they draw, print out, cut and fold. Things like that. This all depends on how old we are talking about, so make it age appropriate.

+1

Depending on age, paper airplanes is another fun one that they can print out, cut out and have some fun with.

There are loads of examples available online for free.

Thanks everyone, some good food for thought there.

The age group will be around 15 and I've just found out that the 4 hours will be shared with the designers, so I will probably only get half of that time.

Something fun was what I was thinking because I know they will instantly switch off if I just explain 'this is how you draw a line, this is how you draw a circle' etc. I like the idea's about asking them to sketch their room or a simple object then trying it on CAD, might start with that but I'm not sure my manager will appreciate the odd paper plane nose diving on his desk though :D

Oh, I have about 0 experience with 3D or any other similar package, so that route's not likely.

No 3D experience???

Pick that simple object right now and tell/show us what it is. Someone here might be willing to draw it up in 3D using a step-by-step approach which you can then practice and emulate.

Yep, no 3D experience, there's not much use for it in my line of work and I don't really have the time to learn anything as I'm quite busy at the moment and my company won't appreciate me taking time out to learn 3D just to impress a few spotty herberts.

I was looking around the office for some simple objects and my first thought was a cup or mug but then thought it's a bit too basic. Then I saw a plant pot and thought that would be good as it would use quite a few basic CAD commands, so I might start with this despite only having 1 side view.

I know, but I can't argue my case, they pay me to do what they want me to. When they asked me if I'd mind showing a few kids AutoCAD, I couldn't exactly say no.

On the hand drawing idea, Talk about how CAD has evolved from hand drawing to CAD and where it is going in the future and that they should understand where we are now but learn where we will be when they are the age they will be when entering the world of "Earning a Living", have them hand draw something easy (everyone draws the same thing, or like item) you draw in CAD,(possible you have a projector to show the room your work) then have them make changes and it will show the benefit of CAD as you also make the changes. Then possibly use YouTube video to show Revit or CAD 3D items as the future portion.

Well that is just some thoughts for a possible direction, hope it helps a little.

Good Luck and Have Fun

... have them hand draw something easy (everyone draws the same thing, or like item) you draw in CAD,(possible you have a projector to show the room your work) then have them make changes and it will show the benefit of CAD as you also make the changes. Then possibly use YouTube video to show Revit or CAD 3D items as the future portion.

I really like this idea, thanks.

As for YouTube vids, my company have blocked all social media sites so that route is a no-go.

Would they allow you to down load a couple of YouTube Videos from home or somewhere and play them from a USB key?

Just a thought and a one time deal.

Again, Good Luck

Would they allow you to down load a couple of YouTube Videos from home or somewhere and play them from a USB key?

Just a thought and a one time deal.

Again, Good Luck

They're really tight with cyber security here. Most of the PC's are 'WYSE boxes' that don't even have USB functionality, I'm lucky enough to have a desktop PC because AutoCAD won't run on a Wyse box, however, I once used my own USB and the IT dept. got notified of a 'virus' making my PC try to connect to a server in China. They took it away for a day to run tests etc. but found nothing wrong. I don't want to go through that again.

Can you actually download video's from YT?

They're really tight with cyber security here. Most of the PC's are 'WYSE boxes' that don't even have USB functionality, I'm lucky enough to have a desktop PC because AutoCAD won't run on a Wyse box, however, I once used my own USB and the IT dept. got notified of a 'virus' making my PC try to connect to a server in China. They took it away for a day to run tests etc. but found nothing wrong. I don't want to go through that again.

Can you actually download video's from YT?

My Bad. I have never done it and I assumed it was possible.

Possibly it could be done with video recording. I have done a lot of audio recording like this but not video.

I have always used the link. I don't have those restrictions. We only use "free" protection software. I think that software injects more problems than outside sources.

Anyways, with the security around your shop it may not be worth the trouble.