Hatching previously selected items, going out of boundaries

I have the following element, it's composed of a bunch of closed lines, altough the vertical ones at the edges go slighty beyond their limits.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58435&cid=1&stc=1

What i'm trying to do is select all of the lines call the hatch command the previously selected ones with the "p" keyword.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58437&cid=1&stc=1

However, I get this instead:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58438&cid=1&stc=1

Why? And how can I solve it?

cc5ecf95c0.png

8d47123976.png

af0fe15bbd.png

6cefd78d21.png

Do not use Select Objects in situations like this. The hatch command wants to use the entire object. You've got a couple objects that you only want to use part of. Use Pick Points instead.

This situation is just an example, I have tons of elements like those

I've seen this before and my answer doesn't change. Pick points would be fewer clicks than select objects. You don't like that solution?

No, because i wanna select all of those elements, and hatch all of the closed spaces at once. It works when you have closed boxes, for example:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58439&cid=1&stc=1

Your answer makes no sense RobDraw.

I've attached the example Remark

You answered your own question.

My answer makes perfect sense. A hatch boundary should be properly closed. Those lines extending past where you want the hatch to end do not make a properly closed boundary like your "box" does. By using the Pick Points option, it will end the pattern at the first objects it encounters. AutoCAD thinks you want to use the entire length of the lines that are extending past the boundary that you want to use and is doing its best to give you what you are requesting. It doesn't know that you want to use only part of the object that you are selecting.

I was hoping to see a copy of an actual drawing file. Am I missing something?

BTW...I'm inclined to agree with Rob's explanation in his last post.

So, there isn't a setting of some sort that would get him to hatch only the closed elements? What if I split the lines at the intersection?

Well that's odd. I tried duplicating what your images show but using AutoCAD 2017 I am able to pick the area I want hatched and it stays within the confines despite the ends of lines passing by each other. So..........the only way I can test this further is to have an actual copy of one of your drawings. This will be the last time I make such a request mainly because I don't like to have to repeat myself. If you can't provide one then I will wish you luck and move on to another thread.

I wish that were so Rob but after making two additional copies of your original linework I was able to hatch a different rectangular area in each of the copies with no problem.

[ATTACH]58442[/ATTACH]

Is it there now Remark? I've never attached a file before so i'm not sure, but i'm trying to make it available for you :)

I got the same results with your drawing as I did with Rob's. No problem here hatching individual areas without the hatch bleeding into an adjacent area.

I wish that were so Rob but after making two additional copies of your original linework I was able to hatch a different rectangular area in each of the copies with no problem.

It is so on my machine. I am getting similar results to the OP. Are you using "select objects" which the OP is insisting on using even though it doesn't work for him?

It doesn't. That is not the proper way to create a hatch boundary. It nothing new. It's been like that as long as I've been doing AutoCAD.

It might be able to be done with code. Try asking in the LISP section.

• 3 weeks later...