How to open dwg shortcuts that has changed or moved?

1Lisa

Hello

So I only have dwg shortcuts left and normally I should open them but when I try, it says this:

The item ... .dwg referred to on this shortcut has been changed or moved, so this shortcut does not work properly anymore.

What can I do about this? I really need those dwgs...

Did you do a search of your entire hard drive for the .dwg files? Yes or no?

Is this a standalone computer or one that is on a network?

When did this first occur? What happened prior to the files going missing?

All my files were encrypted by a virus...So I went to someone and he tried to restore as much as possible... The files he restored are not on my local disk but on Data (G:). He also said that he might restore the dwg you deleted in the past... I don't know if that's the reason i can't open the particular dwg I try to open...because I tried to open a different one of 126 MB and I could open it... :/

Oh no it's not because of the size but the type of the file is 'Dwg-file' so that's why I can open that one... The other one is a 'shortcu'

Unless you can break the encryption, which I doubt you'll be able to do, your files are permanently gone. I'm also guessing that you failed to back up your files to a flash drive, external drive, or a CD or DVD.

It's not encrypted anymore, the guy broke the encryption but the problem is that the dwg files i had on my laptop before, are now shortcuts.. Tho the dwg files I downloaded from the internet are still dwg files, those I can open but I can't open the shortcuts...

Did you search your hard drive for the presence of any .dwg files or not? I don't see how encryption could convert drawing files to shortcuts. Doesn't sound possible to me.

The shortcut is just a pointer telling you where the file should be found. It seems obvious to me if the shortcut no longer works there are only three good reasons.

1. The "path" to the files you are looking for has been changed somehow.

2. The files are gone as in "deleted".

3. The files are in a folder that is inaccessible in some manner (hidden? locked? other?).

From this day forward consider backing up your drawing files to external media. Think of it as insurance in case something goes wrong.

Talk to the guy that "broke the incryption". He must have saved the decoded files somewhere, or maybe simply changed the file names, example (oldfilename-copy.dwg) or just changed the file extension from .dwg to something else. Either case would render any existing shortcuts to the original files completely useless. Once again, a shortcut is not a file, it is a link to a file or folder.

Where is the G: drive you spoke of? For the shortcuts to work, you HAVE to be connected to the actual network, or computer, or disk drive, or flash drive they are stored on. That may be your only problem.