Please help finding program to learn basics with...

nopeda

Hi,

I've never done anything with any type of CAD program but would like to learn the basics of how to draw some simple architectural things, and things like tool sheds, and work chests. I'd like a free program that will allow you to save your projects and print them out, and something that isn't going to expire after a trial period ends, if there are any such programs. It doesn't have to be anything that will do 3D. Maybe at some point in the future I'll want to move on to something more complicated, but just to start with I'm looking for something free and easy to learn the basics with, if there is any such thing available. I don't mind paying a few bucks for something if necessary, but this is just for curiosity about how to learn the basics so I don't want to spend a lot on anything.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David

Look no further than Dassault Systemes' 2D FREE CAD program called DraftSight. It comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, there is a free downloadable PDF getting started guide and an online forum with tutorials. What more could you ask for?

Start with this link...http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/offerings/

See Students, hobbyists and other individuals.

Registration is quick and easy.

BTW...Draftsight is basically an AutoCAD LT clone.

Look no further than Dassault Systemes' 2D FREE CAD program called DraftSight. It comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, there is a free downloadable PDF getting started guide and an online forum with tutorials. What more could you ask for?

Start with this link...http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/offerings/

See Students, hobbyists and other individuals.

Registration is quick and easy.

BTW...Draftsight is basically an AutoCAD LT clone.

Thank you! I will try it out.

Well, I tried for about an hour to get a version of DraftSight that will work. I'm using Windows XP and apparently the 2016 version won't work with that. I've tried to find something that will but don't have all night. If anyone can suggest a download that will work I'll try it asap. Otherwise I'll go back to hunting around for something again when I get off work tomorrow night.

I think you could try sketchUp (http://www.sketchup.com/)

from what I can see, they have a free and paid (pro) version, so I guess you can use it.

I haven't really used it since college 5years ago because the company I work for uses solidworks and autocad.

Good luck!

Well, I tried for about an hour to get a version of DraftSight that will work. I'm using Windows XP and apparently the 2016 version won't work with that. I've tried to find something that will but don't have all night. If anyone can suggest a download that will work I'll try it asap. Otherwise I'll go back to hunting around for something again when I get off work tomorrow night.

Not sure if this might help you, or not. Did you try right clicking on the icon, and in the PROPERTIES, checking run in compatability mode for XP?

Hope that might be a viable option.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Sketchup is not a CAD program.

Windows XP? Jeez.

Alright then, you'll have to download the Russian CAD program called nanoCAD. I checked and there is there is a version for Windows XP SP2 or later.