Loft in AutoCAD

basty

I watch this tutorial in Youtube:

Watch it from 3:32 to 4:32

I confuse when he lofting a two circles, the result is different with what I am doing.

This is what I get when lofting in AutoCAD 2014 by following above tutorial:

lofting.png

How to get similar loft result such as above tutorial?

You got a different result because you did not pay attention to what options were being selected at the command line. Go back and take another look, or two or even three and pay close attention. Pause the playback and take notes.

You got a different result because you did not pay attention to what options were being selected at the command line. Go back and take another look, or two or even three and pay close attention. Pause the playback and take notes.

What did I miss?

I follow exactly this tutorial but the result is different.

Maybe the draft angle was changed? I don't recall and unfortunately I have no access to YouTube videos where I am at the moment. Did you stop the playback at the point the demonstration started to diverge from what you encountered when you used the LOFT command? Were there any guide curves visible?

The video does come with narration does it not? What does the demonstrator have to say?

bit harsh...

And here I thought you were volunteering to take my place in the queue.

When I have a spare minute and the ability to revisit the link the OP first provided I'll see what I can do. Until then do not let me stand in your way. Have a go at it.

Dude, some of us have things to do. Hold your horses.

Just as I thought. Draft angle. He specifically calls it out at 3:47 into the demo. You even see him pick the option. AND....he shows you where to click. It's a matter of just paying attention not only to the visual demo but the verbal instructions that accompany it. Everything you need to know to achieve the desired results finishes up by 4:18 of the demo. That's a mere 31 seconds. Go. Watch. Pause. Take notes. Do.

I just realized that back in post #4 I actually guessed that it was the draft angle that was being manipulated. And that's without the benefit of being able to view the demo at the time. And I bet you doubted me too.

I have a suggestion. Open your AutoCAD Help file and find the section entitled "Loft Settings Dialog Box."

Your mistake is that you are rushing through things and not utilizing the information available to you. Slow down.

In case you have trouble finding the topic in your help file...

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-4a44.htm,topicNumber=d0e261073

I have a suggestion. Open your AutoCAD Help file and find the section entitled "Loft Settings Dialog Box."

Your mistake is that you are rushing through things and not utilizing the information available to you. Slow down.

In case you have trouble finding the topic in your help file...

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-4a44.htm,topicNumber=d0e261073

How to access to the loft settings dialog box like below?

dlg_loft_settings.png

Really? It's covered in your AutoCAD Help file. I'm not on my CAD computer and I'm doing this from memory. Besides which it is not a command feature I use often. Your lucky I remembered it at all.

Did you go back and closely follow the demo to see/hear what was happening in the 31 seconds that the draft angle option was being used? I bet you did not notice the red down pointing arrow the demonstrator clicked on to access the draft angle option.

Really? It's covered in your AutoCAD Help file. I'm not on my CAD computer and I'm doing this from memory. Besides which it is not a command feature I use often. Your lucky I remembered it at all.

Did you go back and closely follow the demo to see/hear what was happening in the 31 seconds that the draft angle option was being used? I bet you did not notice the red down pointing arrow the demonstrator clicked on to access the draft angle option.

No, the help file don't show how to access the loft setting dialog box. It only shows the command line.

I've got to go eat dinner. The answer to your dilemma is adequately addressed in the You-Tube video that YOU provided the link to. I gave you a hint in my previous post. You are in too much of a rush and missing the obvious.

Did you finally get it figured out?

Maybe this simple exercise will help.

In a new drawing replicate the two circles, with different diameters, one above the other just like in the video. Invoke the LOFT command.

When prompted to select cross sections pick the two circles. Now let go of the mouse and press the Enter key. This is what should appear on your screen:

LoftandDraft1.JPG

Note the area circled in red. Click on the blue arrow I have pointed to.

A fly-out menu should appear. Your options are as follows...

-Ruled

-Smooth Fit

-Normal to all sections

-Normal to start section

-Normal to end section

-Normal to start and end sections

-Draft Angle

-Close Surface or Solid

Click on Draft Angle and note what happens in your drawing. Now experiment by clicking on the newly visible grips.

That's all I have time for. And "no" I can't view the video from my present location so don't ask me any questions related to it. However, you should view it again and pay close attention to the 31 second span I previously referenced to see how the demonstrator influences the shape of the lofted circles. Maybe it will make more sense to you now.

Good luck.

How to access to the loft settings dialog box like below?

dlg_loft_settings.png

This is how....

LoftandDraft2.JPG

Type "S" for Settings, then press the Enter key and it should bring up the Loft Settings dialog box.

I believe I've answered all your questions. Now go practice. And take your time; there is no need to rush. You're not competing against anyone.