Illustrator to DXF for Laser cutting

crystalweflen

I am a newbie and I want to get a few files converted to DXF so that they can be laser cut. I don't own AutoCAD but I do own Illustrator. I receive this reply from the laser cutter company saying these are the changes they need to my file:

.dxf format

• I get this part. I export the file as a .dxf file.

Single layer

• Pretty sure I've got this. All my shapes are on the first layer.

Drawn on layer o

• Layer "o" - Is this an AUTOCAD only layer term?

1:1 scale

• I set the units to inches, then I used the ruler to make sure it would be 20x20 inches. Is that what this means?

No fill

• I removed the fil. I originally had this in black so I could see the artwork.

Lines, arcs and radii that are all joined

• I believe I have this set properly. Is there any way to check?

White lines only

• Really, white lines? I set all of my strokes to white, but not sure if that's right.

I know this has to sound like the most newby of questions but I am a quick learner and I just need someone to help explain what exactly the cutter needs. They won't explain anything to me. Can I achieve a good .dxf file using illustrator or am I screwed?

Once it's explained, I'll have it down. I appreciate the help!Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 9.22.28 PM.jpg

I think you have it but a good way to test is to download and install an AutoCAD clone to test your file. A good one to use (and free) would be DraftSight.

You have to register for it but it is free.

I have current Illustrator CC and here is a setting I used...

Screenshot_2.jpg

I tried a set image from Illustrator into AutoCAD 2015 and while it did come in fine the curves came in as splines. Not sure how that will translate in the laser cutter.

Thank you so much. I'm going to send this off and hope that it works. I appreciate all the help and I will follow up and let you know how it went.

I really really appreciate the help.

From what you are showing, you should be good to go.

Like f700es mentioned, some cutting software cannot handle certain splines.

If it is just one thing, post the .dxf and someone here will give it a look over.