Door distance

mknj61

Hello all, I just have a general question. Im working on plate 1 of the electrical project, when I did the floor plan for the HVAC plates I just placed the doors where I was able to figure them out.

My question is this, what is the distance recommended between the door on the hinge side and the corner of a wall? Is there a standard distance?

New Microsoft Word Document.docx

This looks like it was taken from the Penn-Foster electrical project 8. Is that correct?

Doesn't the sample drawing you are working off of have a dimension?

I typically leave four inches. Most newbies tend to forget about the doorknob and leave 2" or less.

Hi yes this is from the electrical project. I was just trying to determine if there was a standard. The other floor plans I did I left 4" also. But no there is no dimension for the clearance between the door and the wall for the corners.

Brutal truth. P-F doesn't care. As far as they are concerned they are teaching you how to use various AutoCAD commands. They are not teaching you how to be an architectural draftsman or designer. As long as they see the information they are looking for when your drawing is reviewed you shouldn't have any problems receiving a good grade.

Use 4 inches. The framing carpenters will do it the way the framing members actually fit amyway. And don't bother to dimension the distance either, if it is in the corner. If a door is more than 4" out of the corner, then dimension to the centerline of the door, and windows too.

The purpose of this particular P-F project is not the construction of a house but the layout of fixtures, switches outlets and the wiring between them. The student, as I have seen from several drawings shared with me, could make the dimension 2", 3" or even 6" and the P-F instructor could care less. It's an electrical wiring plan not a framing plan.

The purpose of this particular P-F project is not the construction of a house but the layout of fixtures, switches outlets and the wiring between them. The student, as I have seen from several drawings shared with me, could make the dimension 2", 3" or even 6" and the P-F instructor could care less. It's an electrical wiring plan not a framing plan.
Understood, but the student wants to know more about architectural plans apparently, so I gave the standard, which is intended to leave enough room for typical door casing around the opening at the corner. Now, the student is a tiny little bit better armed when the day comes that they are presented with real floor plans.