Using auto cad with onscreen keyboard viewer

Miwa

Hi very new to Autocad here - I've just downloaded Autocad onto my laptop, but my laptops number keys don't work so I am using my online keyboard viewer for numbers. When drawing in Autocad and putting in dimensions, is it possible to do it with an online keyboard? Because everytime I want to type in a number in the command section, I have to move my arrow to the on screen keyboard and select the numbers and this makes the line move aswell. Any suggestions??

key.jpg

Is this what you are inquiring about?

Numeric key pad.jpg

Are you making use of the Dynamic Input feature?

Edited by ReMark

Hi very new to Autocad here - I've just downloaded Autocad onto my laptop, but my laptops number keys don't work so I am using my online keyboard viewer for numbers. When drawing in Autocad and putting in dimensions, is it possible to do it with an online keyboard? Because everytime I want to type in a number in the command section, I have to move my arrow to the on screen keyboard and select the numbers and this makes the line move aswell. Any suggestions??

key.jpg

Are you saying the line snaps through the keyboard image, or that it just follows the cursor? Don't worry if it is simply following the cursor. It doesn't know where the other end is supposed to be until you enter the numbers. Of course, if you are using polar and/or object snap tracking it may mess up the tracking once the path is established and then try to cursor to the keyboard.

The on-screen keyboard is intended for touch screen use anyway.

Num Lock? I haven't seen one of those on a keyboard for 10 years or so. That is controlled internally and the numbers are always on now.

key.jpg

Are your keys just not working or are they disabled? On my laptop there is something like a caps lock key that changes the function of my number keys to handle things like volume etc. Check to see if you have one and if its disabled.

Another thing to consider is creating short cut keys in the CUI. you can set them up to enter numbers by holding down sometihng like cntl+shift+Q for one etc.