Rookie question: How to convert linked AutoCAD drawing to polygon?

Hometubs

Hi,

I am very very new to CAD and modeling and I got a problem with the connection of the two. When I import my drawing into 3ds I am able to use the extrude command, so I can make it a 3d object easily. But I cannot use any "convert to" commands on the object so I cannot edit it in any way. What am I missing here?

I assume you used a Extrude modifier to extrude the imported 2D shape from AutoCAD. Now just right-click the object n 3ds Max and choose Convert To, Editable Mesh.

~Lee

If you imported your CAD file using the File Link Manager, you will need to Bind it into your Max scene file in order to convert it to editable poly. But, binding the CAD file breaks the link to the Autocad file.

Try adding an Edit Poly modifier. This will give you access to all the poly editing tools without breaking the link to the CAD file.

EditPoly.jpg

I assume you used a Extrude modifier to extrude the imported 2D shape from AutoCAD. Now just right-click the object n 3ds Max and choose Convert To, Editable Mesh.

~Lee

That is exactly what doesn't work :(

If you imported your CAD file using the File Link Manager, you will need to Bind it into your Max scene file in order to convert it to editable poly. But, binding the CAD file breaks the link to the Autocad file.

Try adding an Edit Poly modifier. This will give you access to all the poly editing tools without breaking the link to the CAD file.

Yup, that works, thank you :) I got many curves though in my drawing and 3ds creates many many faces out of it. Is it possible to set the amount of "faces per angle" or something similar? To make the object more or less "rough".

Try adding a "Smooth" modifier. See below, before and after adding the modifier. Make sure you check the "Auto Smooth" box in order to enable smoothing. You can change the "Threshold" amount to get more or less smoothing, but I typically leave it at the default "30".

Before Smooth.jpg

After Smooth.jpg