Beginner Project Ideas

deadwolves

Hi all and hope you are well :)

I'm very much a beginner to AutoCAD but have worked through the basics and would like some ideas about beginner projects?

I have some experience in utilities like working with site plans, utilities like water/gas/electrical mains and so on, but its very limited and I don't really know where to start.

Yes there are plenty of tutorials but some suggestions for the fledging novice to research and work out themselves would be interesting

Thanks for reading

Get down to your local library and find a couple of books about drafting or technical drawing and you'll have more "projects" than you'll have time to fully contemplate. Suggested titles include, but are not limited to...

1. Basic Technical Drawing by Spencer.

2. Engineering Drawing by French.

3. Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Wiebe.

4. Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics by Giesecke and Hill.

Or just start drawing anything you can easily pick up in your hand, view from all sides and measure. From there move onto drawing up a room (plan and elevation) or an entire house. Use your imagination and design something. It doesn't matter as long as you practice, practice and practice some more. That's how you get good.

Here's a project. Imagine you just started your own company. Design a title block and border with an unique company logo.

What are your interests? Bicycling? Snowboarding? Other? Design a piece of sporting equipment.

Edited by ReMark

Yes thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for really.

I'm very green with anything to do with technical engineering and was thinking of starting out building house plans and specifying possible entry points for utilities, and then moving up to commercial sketches, like hotel or office plans. Have already done a mockup of my apartment, but I want to get into the right kind of practice, if you know what I mean? So picking up some books would be a good start. And the logo idea is a good one too.

I do have an interest in things like NASA, ie. space shuttles and probes but that's probably a little advanced!!

Given your architectural interests then I'd suggest Architectural Drafting and Design by Jefferis and Madsen and/or AutoCAD 2016 and AutoCAD LT 2016 - No Experience Required by McFarland. The book by McFarland actually contains a project from start to finish in 3D. He has featured both a cabin and a small house in past versions of the book.