hidden lines is a problem for me

Hello everyone,

My cad experience is mostly in 3-D, and I am just now starting to get involved with Autocad. I have been given a machine with Autocad 2000 to start out with. I am progressing ok, I suppose, except for I have hit a stone wall using the linetype tool. For the life of me I am unable to display a hidden, or a broken line to indicate a hole or a slot, even after following the instructions that I have been given to the letter. I am about as Noob as you're going to get, so I am asking this:

If I were to type out the procedure that I use to display a hidden, or a broken line in fine detail, would someone here analyze my writing and tell me where I am going astray and correct my sequence? I will include a screen shot of what I am doing, and make everything very clear.

Thank you,

Mcshaun

Better yet post a portion of your drawing, it will probably be clear to us what the problem is. Not sure if a new poster can post files right away or not but give it a try.

My kneejerk response is linetype scale factor is reversed, but yes an example file always helps.

Hello everyone,

My cad experience is mostly in 3-D, and I am just now starting to get involved with Autocad. I have been given a machine with Autocad 2000 to start out with. I am progressing ok, I suppose, except for I have hit a stone wall using the linetype tool. For the life of me I am unable to display a hidden, or a broken line to indicate a hole or a slot, even after following the instructions that I have been given to the letter. I am about as Noob as you're going to get, so I am asking this:

If I were to type out the procedure that I use to display a hidden, or a broken line in fine detail, would someone here analyze my writing and tell me where I am going astray and correct my sequence? I will include a screen shot of what I am doing, and make everything very clear.

Thank you,

Mcshaun

Can you see the dashes at any zoom level? Wait! 2000? I don't even remember what is in 2000. I'll let someone else take a look.

Have you changed the VIEW -> SHADE settings from 2D Wireframe to 3D Wireframe (or anything but 2D)? In earlier versions (not sure about later ones) that screws up the display of linetypes. (I know it does in 2002...)

BKT

After drawing rectangle 4.09 X 3.67, with 4 vertical interior lines representing 2 holes measuring .8.

1- At command line type LTYPE, enter

2- Select load, scroll down select Hidden

3- Select Modify Properties, Properties window appears.

4- Select linetype, select arrow, at drop-down select Hidden.

5- Select Linetype Scale, change 1.000 to .25

6- Select four lines to change to Hidden, lines turns to blue grips.

7- Escape, select X.

8- Lines remain solid.

Acad forum Drawing.dwg

Image00004.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to answer the question. I do not see the dashes at any zoom level.

Thank you all for your response.

Mcshaun

While your drawing does have the HIDDEN linetype loaded it is NOT assigned to any of the eight lines in your drawing nor is it assigned to a specific layer.

My advice is to create a NEW layer and assign the HIDDEN linetype to this layer and give it a color other than white.

You must select the lines before changing the properties. You're currently set up so any new lines drawn will reflect the changes but lines created before that will retain their original property settings.

And I agree with ReMark, creating a separate layer for hidden lines and center lines makes things simpler and more organized

BTW...I would also recommend creating a new layer for your dimensions and assign it a color other than white as well. Using different layers for different things will make your life easier and that of anyone else down the line who finds themselves having to edit your drawing. And it is usually NOT a good idea to override the color assigned to a layer.

BTW....your drawing with the HIDDEN linetype assigned to the eight white lines would look like this with no change made to the linetype scale.

HIDDEN LTYPE.JPG

While that may be so overriding the linetype assigned to the layer is something you should try to avoid. Once again, think of the person after you that has to edit the drawing. Why make that person's task more difficult?

Selecting the lines before changing the properties was the answer. That is where my sequence was haywire. I want to thank all of you who responded, life is good once again for me, thanks to you.

Mcshaun

Selecting the lines before changing the properties was the answer. That is where my sequence was haywire. I want to thank all of you who responded, life is good once again for me, thanks to you.

Mcshaun

Please take note of the earlier posts telling you to not change properties of individual objects, rather create a layer for hidden lines, set the properties in the layer manager for that layer with linetype and color. Editing a file later will be much harder if you change things at the object level. If and when files are xreffed into one another the display control will be that much more difficult, etc.