AutoCAD 2016 Xref bloat

Silvercloak

There were still over 700 entities in this file, and over 600 C3D styles.

I ended up with ±same results as @ReMark. ±240kb -- Using SuperPurge as a brute force tool.

Nothing remarkable about the bloat, looked like general stuff.

Opened in BricsCAD, erased the entities, purged, then Export to DWG and the result is ±59k

59k.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvercloak

• Dadgad

• RobDraw

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There were still over 700 entities in this file, and over 600 C3D styles.

I ended up with ±same results as @ReMark. ±240kb -- Using SuperPurge as a brute force tool.

Nothing remarkable about the bloat, looked like general stuff.

Opened in BricsCAD, erased the entities, purged, then Export to DWG and the result is ±59k

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58518[/ATTACH]

Dang - that's awesome... I'll take a look at this tool. Although - it's obvious there's way too much detritus in these files. I need to find a way to keep the working files intact while disposing of the excessive bloat. Will superpurge do that or will it damage the essential purpose of these drawings?

Silvercloak

I doubt very much that Superpurge will damage the essential purpose of the drawing.

Well - now I have to convince the admin here... Goddamn IT have locked our workstations down so we need to ask permission to get anything installed.

Thanks though, I like the SOUND of that program. I'd really like to give it a shot. AutoCAD's built in purge is so... nuclear.

Silvercloak

"AutoCAD's built in purge is so... nuclear."

Actually....it isn't.

By the way I'd recommend using the command line version which is -Purge. Purge Regapps first. Repeat the command but this time choose the ALL option. Follow up with Audit. If things don't improve the next step is to use the WBlock command.

In the first post the OP said he purged regapps, which I took to mean that he knew about the commandline version, but now that we know he is using 2016, that comes with the turf, maybe he just used the newer built in functionality. For those who are not aware, or on older software than 2015, knowing about the commandline version is a MUST! :beer:

Dang - that's awesome... I'll take a look at this tool. Although - it's obvious there's way too much detritus in these files. I need to find a way to keep the working files intact while disposing of the excessive bloat. Will superpurge do that or will it damage the essential purpose of these drawings?

Silvercloak

SuperPurge will...... allow you to purge anything. But sometimes, at a cost.

For example, say you have a text entity, and it uses the textstyle "AAA".

Using the AutoCAD Purge command, you cannot purge the textstyle "AAA", because it's being referenced by that text object.

Now suppose that this text object is on a frozen layer, embedded in a block, nested several times, and for whatever reason, QSELECT and FILTER and every other method you can think of - you cannot find what is referencing the "AAA" style.

SuperPurge will let you do a hard purge that will delete the "AAA" style, but it will also either delete the text entity using style AAA -or- change the style of that text entity to something else... (I don't know all the rules of Spurge)

No worries though, because you're going to do this on a COPY of your original drawing...right? 8)

So in summary, it will let you purge things that are being referenced, and other things that AutoCAD doesn't normally purge such as dictionaries and groups.

Edited by rkmcswain
add more info

In the first post the OP said he purged regapps, which I took to mean that he knew about the commandline version, but now that we know he is using 2016, that comes with the turf, maybe he just used the newer built in functionality. For those who are not aware, or on older software than 2015, knowing about the commandline version is a MUST! :beer:

LOL Yes I was using the commandline version. I'm old school sonny - I've been doing this since the DOS days.

Good, glad to hear you knew about it. :)

I was in drafting class in junior high school when we heard that JFK was being rushed into surgery, computers were a lot less prevalent back then, pops. :|

Good, glad to hear you knew about it. :)

I was in drafting class in junior high school when we heard that JFK was being rushed into surgery, computers were a lot less prevalent back then, pops. :|

LOL You win. I was only a sperm and egg when JFK was around. Hell I was a wee lad of a few years when Elvis died. It just seems everyone I meet in the business these days are younger than me. Good to know I'm not the oldest ;)

LOL You win. I was only a sperm and egg when JFK was around. Hell I was a wee lad of a few years when Elvis died. It just seems everyone I meet in the business these days are younger than me. Good to know I'm not the oldest ;)

I remember walking to school, when I was in kindergarden, singing 'You ain't nothing but a hound dog', which was all the rage in, what I guess would have been 1955.

If you want to get an uplifting sense of where you fit into the forum oldster-archy, how young, desirable, and what a general Noob you really are...

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?47690-You-know-your-an-old-draughtsman-when... :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

I remember walking to school, when I was in kindergarden, singing 'You ain't nothing but a hound dog', which was all the rage in, what I guess would have been 1955.

If you want to get an uplifting sense of where you fit into the forum oldster-archy, how young, desirable, and what a general Noob you really are...

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?47690-You-know-your-an-old-draughtsman-when... :beer:

STELLAR! I love this!