Set hole diameter with formula

ColinPearson

Hi folks, happy Friday. I'm falling all over myself trying to learn Inventor here and I'm working through some exercises in a book I bought. Task is to create a shape (done) pace a bunch of holes (done) then set 3 parametric relationships up to define various features. Choice of which features is left to reader and for one, I'd like to set a hole diameter to be a function of the radius within which it has been paced concentrically.

I know I could do it by sketching a circle, defining the circle's radius as a function of the arc it lies concentrically in and extruding through the shape -BUT- can I do this with a hole feature? Assuming it's just a through hole with no countersinking, threading, etc, is there a compelling reason to use a hole feature vs extruded circle or vice-versa?

Thank you in advance for your input folks.

I guess it is possible right in the dialog, it didn't seem to be taking it at first. Is there a way to display all dimensions so it's easier to know which one you need e.g., "d4/4" is easy enough to type but if you don't know the names of the dimensions, then AFAIK you have to exit the hole dialog, edit the sketch that contains the desired dimension to see the name, exit sketch, reenter the hole dialog and THEN type "d4/4" or whatever the specifics are. Is there a better way?

You can just pick on the dimension you are wanting to use and it is filled in for you, then continue from there. IE: Pick on a dimension of R0.5 and it will place the d4 in the little dialog box for you.

Edit: While in the hole command dialog, for the hole diameter there is a pull down, one of the choices is show dimensions, now pick on the feature that you want the dim to show for, now pick on that dimension, the d4 will show and you can continue from there.

Edited by rkent
didn't have IV open earlier, gave incomplete answer

That's odd... when I click Show Dimensions, the hole fills back in solid in the model, with a "donut" at the center and an arrow showing the current direction of the hole, but no dimension object to pick and modify the value of.

dimension.jpg

The hole showing closed is normal.

After picking Show Dimensions you must select the feature you want dims to show. In this case pick on the fillet, dim will show, pick the dim, continue from there with formula.