Solidworks template files don't go back to original folder

chubarka

I have transferred two template files to the original path which was c:\Solidworks\Data\Templates, and they do not appear at start-up. Is there a new location for template files? I thought someone in this forum had this same problem

a few months ago, but I cannot find the post. I have transferred to Solidworks 2013 if it matters.

Chubarka

When you make custom templates it is good practice to place them in folders outside of the solidworks directory. You can go to the system options and point solidworks to any folder(s) you want for template files. This is also a good way to check where solidworks is looking. Im not at a computer but you can go to file-system options-folder locations(I think thats the nomenclature used).

As far as why they aren't showing up it is likely one of two things. 1. They aren't the correct format. When you make a template you will do file-save as. You will then change the file type to "template". Depending on part,assmy or drawing it will have a different file extension. Part for example is .prtdot where the normal extension is .sldprt.

2. You have multiple versions of solidworks installed without a clean deinstall. This is ok in some cases but note you will have multiple solidworks data folders with incremental numbers. SOLIDWORKS DATA(2) for example.

Ill be at a computer later today and can take screen shots if you have trouble finding it. If none of this works let me know.

Thank you for your response.

I do not have multiple versions installed.

I enclose the data from both version 2007 and 2013 to show that I do have the right extensions and path,

version 2007 works ok.

I don't understand what you mean by going to system options and pointing to the files.

Chubarka

2007 1.jpg

2007 2.jpg

2013 1.jpg

2013 2.jpg

Something must have changed between 07(never used that version) and 2013. The 07 directory looks fine but in the 2013 one notice that its all drawing standards. This is where solidworks is looking for drawing standards and not part/assembly/drawing templates. In the newer versions the directory will be hidden but should be c:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS 2013\templates. Type that into your windows explorer and see if its a valid folder. If not just put in ProgramData. You should see a Solidworks folder. Inside that will include any solidworks versions(2015 and 2016 currently on my system) as well as any addin or standalone products you have.

As far as the "Pointing to a location". I don't remember off hand if you could get to it from the File Menu but it should be the same as the attached images from SW2015. 2016 changed the icon to a little gear but it was the one in the image for several years. From the "Options" you will go to System Options. If you have a file open there will also be a tab for Document specific properties but you aren't interested in those. Navigate down to "File Locations" There is a drop down which, by default, will be on Document Templates. You can then add any folder to that list. The result is that when you start a new file you will have another TAB. Default will have one called Tutorials and one called templates. Make sure if you add another folder to give the folder name something meaningful like Custom Templates. This will also tell you where solidworks is currently looking for those document templates.

System Options2.jpg

System Options1.jpg

Using shift1313's screenshot as a reference, I recommend deleting any locations except where you have your templates.

(As stated previously you have to have saved the files as TEMPLATE FILES for them to be available as templates

even if your path settings are correct.

edit: Delete = Remove from the list

Edited by ILoveMadoka

I dont agree. Dont delete the default template locations if thats what you are saying. You can remove the file location from solidworks so it doesn't use them.

I typically have a templates folder on another drive and a zipped up backup of any custom templates, sheet formates and weldment profiles. Because I do this for customers I know everyone is different but isolating templates helps during upgrades.

Oops! You are correct.

I meant remove them from the Options not physically delete them.

It's just that the Solidworks Options screen has the word "Delete" which is misleading..

We have several projects each with their own templates so I modify (add/remove) locations

depending upon which project that I am on. I personally don't like having too many template locations

showing (I guess I could have them all there all the the time but that's too much to deal with)

Edited by ILoveMadoka

True. If you add multiple folders it will be its own tab though. Since I am a consultant working dozens of projects that's typically how I handle it on my machine.