Plot to PDF Scale Wrong

billydavies21

Hi all! I'm new to AutoCad, having only done a few small jobs over the last year. Mainly floor plans for planning permission.

I've finished the plan and I'm tearing my hair out trying to get it to export to PDF to scale. I've done a few before on A4 and they've been fine. I got the plan to 1:200 scale fine on A4 (weirdly, only when I set the scale to 1:20), but when I went up to A3, the scale was way off. A quick measure gave me a scale of around 1:143.

I assumed printing at "actual size" from adobe onto A3 would simply give me a scale of 1:100. This is obviously not the case.

This is an urgent job (needed to be completed yesterday!) and I've run out of ideas! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• billydavies21

• ReMark

• MillerMG

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you attach a copy of the drawing (not a PDF but a .dwg file) to your next post? Someone here will take a look at it and get back to you.

Hope this works, haven't uploaded here before. Thanks!

H2O.dwg

Just to add... I don't need this to be 1:100. it can b 1:50, 1:100 or 1:150. just need it to be correct when printing at A3!

I hate to be a pain. But this is VERY urgent. Would it be possible for someone to export this to PDF so that when I print it on A3 it comes out at 1:150, which I think is the only one out of the choices of 1:50, 1:100 & 1:150 that will fit...

Would be lovely if someone could also change the text where it states the scale...

Alright, I read some stuff. Just tell me what scale you want the viewport to be and what size paper. I know you have already stated what you want kind of. I just want a straight answer of what you want. In the next post please and I'll see what I can do

Plot.jpg

I have no idea what a viewport is, sorry! As I said, I've only used AutoCad a few times in the last year. Previously I've just set the scale to either "fit to page" if it's not important or chosen the scale I want when using DWG to PDF. I ask it to print the extents of the plan. Maybe I've been doing it wrong but just got lucky! I've attached a screenshot of what I'm telling it to do. But as you can see, the preview is showing it really tiny on the page, and is obviously not 1:100...

What I need is a PDF of the plan that when printed on A3 is in 1:150 scale. It's going to the council and they check it, so it needs to be accurate.

Hope that's clear enough! Thank you very much for your help so far!

P.S I'd usually just sit down with a manual or watch a tutorial to learn where I'm going wrong, but I just don't have time as it needs to be done today at the latest.

Holy Moly!! lol Alright, give me a minute. I just had some jobs thrown on my desk so bare with me. Make sure to keep an eye on your e-mail.

Holy Moly!! lol Alright, give me a minute. I just had some jobs thrown on my desk so bare with me. Make sure to keep an eye on your e-mail.

"Under Pressure" - David Bowie.

1:150 is too small and is not considered one of the preferred metric scales. 1:20, which is a preferred scale, would fit nicely on an A3 sheet of paper. At least you'd be able to read it.

Also, you should look into ReMark's post about viewports. It covers every aspect of it as well as making you MUCH more efficient in the long run.

Sorry I had to do a house viewing. 1:20 doesn't seem right to me but then I can't get the thing to work so what do I know!

If I print that on A3 and it's 1:20 when the council measure it, that's fine. I'll go with it.

Thank you all very much for your help!

Sorry, I'm confused by that. Does that work for you or???? A viewport pretty much takes what you have drawn in model space (which should be drawn to scale) and allows you to make it whatever scale you need it instead of scaling in model space.

Since you are doing this in model space draw a 297x420 rectangle then using the scale command scale it up 20 times. Move this "frame" so it surrounds your house layout. Add a title block and border then print.