Template Mystery

Using AutoCAD 2016 & 2017, I've been having a mystery block (_closedbank) and mystery layer (base) that keeps appearing in my template. This is not a block that I have ever created, and I've never named a block with any name like that. Same with the layer 'base'. If I open up my template, the layer is empty and the block is not present, so I am able to purge both and save. However, if I open up the template again (or use it as the base for any drawing) both these elements reappear until I purge again. After that, they're gone from my drawing.

It's not a major problem, as I can ignore & purge, but I would like to know why?? Any suggestions/similar experiences?

Edited by Rooster
typo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rooster

• RobDraw

• ReMark

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay, please post the template file.

Next guess is that some sort of customization is loading them when you open a file. Do they reappear in every file?

I just got rid of the layer. Found a block that had a rogue base point parameter to it. Still struggling with the block - just looked closer, and it's actually called _ClosedBlank (not bank). Searching Google I see other references to this name, but not tracked down what it is yet. I have purged my template & ensured that this block is not present - however, as soon as I start a new drawing it's in the list (albeit still with no occurrences in my drawing, so able to purge straight away)...

You are already doing that. The issue is it keeps coming back and it is hard to determine where it is coming from without a file or being there.

Can you share the template just to verify that it is indeed staying purged until a file is created from it?

And again, do they reappear in every file that you open?

Template attached - thanks for taking an interest! (I've had to saveas in DWG filetype as it wouldn't let me upload DWT)

Yes, the _ClosedBlank appears in every single new drawing begun using this template (ie. start new dwg using QNEW to open a file based on my template). Before doing anything else go to PURGE and under the BLOCKS section is _ClosedBlank

X2016.dwg

no, existing files are fine. also files that are subsequently created from this template - once the initial purge has happened they're fine too

I'm betting it is embedded in one of those blocks. There are ways to systematically track it down but I don't know any of them.

Isn't _ClosedBlank the name for one of the arrowhead blocks that is a part of AutoCAD?

I opened your template but did not see a layer called BASE listed.

Are you sure that is the template set to open as Qnew?

I suggest that in order to confirm that it is you open OPTIONS, on the FILES tab, select TEMPLATES, click on the Default QNew option there and browse to be sure which is your current default QNEW template.

Once you are sure which one it is, you can open the .dwt file, and purge it.

The dwg file which is generated upon opening your Autocad, is not created from the specified QNEW default template.

Sounds like that may be what is giving you the run around, that or as SLW implies, your default template is not the one you mean to, or think you are using. :beer:

Startup sys var for templates.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for the replies...

ReMark - I did eventually manage to get rid of the 'base' layer before uploading the template here. From Google searches I believe that you're right that _ClosedBlank refers to some sort of arrowhead/leader. I'll take a close look at any blocks that may contain these first.

With regards to QNEW and opening the right template, yes this is definitely the correct one set up in the Options tab.

If you look in the DimStyle dialog box on the Symbols and Arrows tab under the heading Arrowheads and click on the down pointing arrow for the first entry you will see that "Closed blank" is a listed arrowhead style that comes standard with AutoCAD. My advice would be to ignore it. In the scheme of things it matters not one iota.

In the scheme of things it matters not one iota.

... unless you are OCD about your files. I have a habit of getting hung up on these little things, especially in a template.