Relation element definitions and graphic performance

halam

Hi,

I have a set of files that together make a model, design of a specific civil structure. I placed about 80 pieces of complex shaped steel forms (vendor structures for docking ships) into a seperate xref. The idea of it is to make it faster when these are unloaded. But these items are all unique without being blocks. That causes this file to be over 100 mb. Now, i know that loading / unloading a more smarter created model with use of multiple block definitions would make thing leaner and faster to load.

But i wonder if it for my speed in graphics an cpu would make any difference if i would make them blocks instead of unique elements. Would graphics benefit of blocks (or other smart elements) besides the filesize?

Just wondering.. without doing the testing..

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• halam

• ReMark

• MillerMG

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What are your system specs?

Did you clean the drawing using such commands as Overkill, -Purge (Regapps first), repeat -Purge (All), WBlock, ExportToAutoCAD, and/or Audit? Are layer filters used? Does the drawing suffer from scalelist bloat? Are image files attached?

Lets asume i did all there can be done to make the data as clean as possible.

Without the part of blocking it. I have on board a nvidea card M.... (Dont know exactly, is this important) My question is a bit theoritical, About the mechanism of displaying blocks. Would it be useful to to some testing?

(.. you're right i dont like Robs remarks. Lets just leave it alone will you)

Why haven't you tried WBlock or ExportToAutoCAD to try to reduce file size?

Was the drawing created originally in Microstation or was any Microstation content inserted into the drawing?

Are images attached?

What are your system specs?

No actually it is a part of a 300 MB export from the Autodesk Revit. Originally the where families as imports form i think SAT (probably Solidworks or Inventor)

Do you understand my question? I want to make my display faster but don't know if it will be worth it to block them..

edited:

The elements are seperate bodies. See att.

Originally imports form thirth party

Nvidea Quadro K3100M

- 0 block definitions

- purged everything incl. reg apps.

- no scales, just one 1:1

- some default filterfilters, 9 total

- no images

- no xrefs

(i like to keep my 3D models clean)

- just ... complex bodies..

FILESIZE : 112 mb

Knipsel.jpg

Edited by halam
further info

I'll answer your questions as soon as you answer mine.

What's taking so long? CAD techs should know their system specs like the back of their hand? Are you using a minimum (entry level), a mid-range or high end system? If you normally deal with 300MB and larger files then you should be using a high end system in my opinion.

Edited by ReMark

Hi there Remark, being impatient are you? I don't even know my own phone number.

i have some kids playing around.

I only work 4 days in a week and have my off day at friday to keep them buzzy

This is just for some 'fun' :-)

So, what is your idea about a faster way for display then ..?

You still have not provided FULL specs on your computer despite being asked more than once. Yet in your very first post you postulate...

"But i wonder if it for my speed in graphics an cpu would make any difference..."

How do you expect someone to help you if you won't answer questions put to you? I'm not asking just to hear myself speak. If that were the case I could walk outside my house and try talking to the first teenager that comes strolling by with their nose pressed to their cell phone playing Pokemon Go.

Bottom line. You want help then provide answers.

HP Z book 17 G3, 2 years old. enough memory

IT departments calls it a laptop for BIM people.

I just use it for CAD.

Satisfied or do you need further details or do you want the model?

What is "enough memory"?

What else is running in the background while you are working? Anti-virus, browser, MS Office, other?

Never mind. I've lost interest. This was worse than going to the dentist for a root canal.

thanks for spoiling it Mr dentist

I probably could but apparently you weren't interested in answering my questions which begs the question, why start the thread in the first place. Now I understand what Robdraw was referring to. It's not like I was asking for the personal details of your life or the password to your Facebook account.

I bet you say the same thing to your psychiatrist.

Without access to your computer, or Revit, or a copy of one of the drawings in question how else do you expect a person to diagnose the problem? When you take your car to a mechanic does he not ask questions? When you go to the doctor because your ill does he not ask questions? Most people are not clairvoyant nor do they carry around a crystal ball to automatically discern the answer to a problem.