how to improve this?

cat3appr

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with this chart, I couldn't upload on the website because is 20KB so i've shared it on my googledrive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B12JygCn5zCmeFRTRWlvZWhCVGM

On paperspace i'd like to fit the viewport on the dashed layout, as you can see form the screenshot, it doesn't line up perfectly. I tried to modify the paper size in page setup manager , but i didn't succeed. I have an A1(landscape) selected and my chart is 2378x1682mm

Any suggestion about this?

Other question: I don't succeed to reduce the size of this DWG! how is it possible that it's so large, actually I've purged and did a mapclean before posting it, and it got even bigger in size!

Is there something I don't see, how can I make it lighter?

thanks in advance!

Screenshot - 15_07_2016 , 10_25_52.jpg

Why is your title block and border sitting over in model space if you are making use of a layout? Title blocks and borders should be placed in the layout.

You have one object in your layout and that is a viewport.

You have three viewports in model space. Why?

All your layers use the same color (white). At the very least the Viewports layer should probably be assigned a different color just so that it stands out from everything else in your drawing.

If you really want a viewport to be practically on top of the dashed line that represents the extents to which AutoCAD will print it is simply a matter of zooming in to diagonally opposite corners and using grips to stretch the viewport. As you may already now you cannot snap to the corners of the dashed line.

BTW...I used the Overkill command on your drawing and it reported 508 overlapping lines which indicates to me that someone doesn't exactly know what they are doing. A -Purge > Regapps lists 64 unreferenced regapps that can be purged.

Re: file size. My guess is that you have used image files in your title block. Is that correct? Merely by doing a WBlock (entire drawing) and creating a new file I was able to reduce the file size from 19MB to just under 3MB.

And lastly, just curious, why do you reference "18 inches" in the drawing name yet the drawing itself is metric and units are set to meters?

Why is your title block and border sitting over in model space if you are making use of a layout? Title blocks and borders should be placed in the layout.

You have one object in your layout and that is a viewport.

You have three viewports in model space. Why?

All your layers use the same color (white). At the very least the Viewports layer should probably be assigned a different color just so that it stands out from everything else in your drawing.

If you really want a viewport to be practically on top of the dashed line that represents the extents to which AutoCAD will print it is simply a matter of zooming in to diagonally opposite corners and using grips to stretch the viewport. As you may already now you cannot snap to the corners of the dashed line.

BTW...I used the Overkill command on your drawing and it reported 508 overlapping lines which indicates to me that someone doesn't exactly know what they are doing. A -Purge > Regapps lists 64 unreferenced regapps that can be purged.

Re: file size. My guess is that you have used image files in your title block. Is that correct? Merely by doing a WBlock (entire drawing) and creating a new file I was able to reduce the file size from 19MB to just under 3MB.

And lastly, just curious, why do you reference "18 inches" in the drawing name yet the drawing itself is metric and units are set to meters?

I have 3 viewport in model space because this a company standard: we will xref the data that will populate the panels and those panels are viewport to that data.

ya i can change the color of the viewport.

and yes i aligned the viewport on the dashed printing area and then the zoom/window/end and snapped the border of the chart into this viewport , I just thought there was an automated way.

Thanks for the overkill! It worked and removed lots of stuff. I did use purge and maptrim before but it didn't do much.

What do you mean for title block? We had to use an OLE object for the company logo, this is inserted directly in the chart, on the right side in the legend.

"18 inches" refers to the name of the pipeline, it's a project with standard names which cannot be changed, although we use the metric system. I definitely don't care about this :)

Anyways, thanks for the tips! by merely copying and pasting the chart into a new dwg and doing an overkil, i got the file down to 1.3MB :)

any other suggestion is always welcome, cheers!