AutoCAD 2016 and Windows 10

GHartman

Are there any known issues/bugs relating to Windows 10? My PC slows sometimes ( I have 6 GB of DDR 3 1333Mhz RAM).

More importantly, since upgrading from Win 7 to 10, I have noticed that Paperspace and sometimes Model space have random lines through my model. Using the Zoom command usually, makes them go away.

I am using the Student version of AutoCAD 2016 and have noticed the same behaviour with AutoCAD 2017.

What are the full specs on your computer? Did you check what the minimum system requirements are specified for the version of AutoCAD that you are running?

Regarding the random lines through your model I'd say that points to a possible graphics problem.

Student version or not is makes no difference. They are essentially the exact same program.

Thanks, ReMark. The PC has an Intel Quad core processor, so speed hasn't been an issue. The PC meets or exceeds the requirements.

I think you've nailed it right on the head - my work PC has an updated graphics card, my home PC doesn't.

Well to be honest just having an Intel quad CPU doesn't really mean anything. If it is an Intel Core2Quad then I would say you need an upgrade as that is an old cpu. Speed (CPU clock cycle) is also not a very good indicator of performance. At times and depending on OS, application and optimization a newer, slower CPU can perform as well if not better than an older "faster" CPU.

I run ACAD 2017 on my AMD Athlon II X4 based Windows 10 system at home with no issue but I am not pushing it 8 hours a day. I agree in that the graphics card might be the issue.

I didn't mean to be vague.

I'm computer savvy and I inherited the PC from my late father. It's a few years old (literally 3 years), and I didn't spec it all out because I haven't had any real issues with any other software, nor have I had memory issues. It just seems that Windows 10 lags at times.

I'm considering upgrading the RAM to 12 Gb ( the max for my motherboard). I also know I can step up the speed a bit - the motherboard can handle it.

The PC has a decent clock speed, and actually runs AutoCAD quite well. My big complaint was the random lines and as soon as I upgrade the video card, that's going to be gone.

I use 2014LT at work and I took advantage of the student downloads every year, I've taken a course at the local college. I have 2016 and 2017 at home.

SP1 is supposed to make 2016 more compatible with Win 10. EDIT: That may only apply to LT. It works quite well for 2016 LT on Win 10 at work.

Did you do a clean install of Win10 or was this an upgrade install? Not sure if there would have been any difference, just curious.

Did you do a clean install of Win10 or was this an upgrade install? Not sure if there would have been any difference, just curious.
I was a digital abduction victim of Microsoft. The "Free Upgrade" began to install itself when I booted up one morning at work. The first thing I saw was 00.3 seconds left to cancel. I didn't make it. Our leased 2016 LT already had SP1 in it and we did not have any issues. We have since upgraded to 2017.

Win 7 Home was eligible for free upgrade. I upgraded both of my Win 7 Home machines to 10 and another one for someone else. Vista was not eligible.

So you were running Windows 7 home? I ask as I was sure that there was no free upgrade to Win10 under 7 Pro.
The work computer was running Win 7. I had not really noticed which version. Had only been working here a little while at the time. I know it did not announce itself as Win 7 Pro upon boot up.

The work computer was running Win 7. I had not really noticed which version. Had only been working here a little while at the time. I know it did not announce itself as Win 7 Pro upon boot up.

So I take it that there was no Domain to log into when you signed onto this machine?

• 1 month later...

Mine was an upgrade and intentional. I already had AutoCAD 2016 installed and from everything I read, there wouldn't be any issues with Win10.