xreffing paper space with viewports in model :///

Hello,

I have to set up a series of charts where the legend and other fixed items have to be in paper space, while the data in model space. I will then viewport the data to the paper space.

charts.jpg

Now, I'm getting a bit confused about the paper space, because something is not right: I have this attached MASTER.dwg it will represent the name of the official chart, it's a blank dwg, because they want to have a blank master drawing and everything else xreffed.

then I have this LEGEND.dwg which needs to be on paper space. from this legend in paper space we will have to create viewports on model space, where we will xref various data.

I'm having some troubles first of all in xreffing with relative path the legend to the master, it says -relative path cannot be assigned - and yes, I've already saved the master drawing, closed and reopened everything, and still I can't xref relative path.

And yes, the 2 files are sitting in the same folder. The folder is located on a different drive on the network, not locally, but they are in the exact same folder. This was never an issue before, of course I was able to xref relative path files within the same folder on different network drives. Just now, it doesn't want to do it....

Second issue... how can I xref this legend in paper space? I'm confused, as i know that in general you always xref in model space.

I find these standards quite inefficient, i'd have rather used autochart to create the charts, but i need to stick to the company standards.

any input is welcome thank you!

MASTER.dwg

LEGEND.dwg

Edited by cat3appr

You should only have to open one drawing and it should be named Master.dwt. The title block and border found in the Legend.dwg should be ported over to the (one and only?) layout of this template. There really isn't a good reason why there should be two drawings.

You should only have to open one drawing and it should be named Master.dwt. The title block and border found in the Legend.dwg should be ported over to the (one and only?) layout of this template. There really isn't a good reason why there should be two drawings.

That's exactly what happens. I open Master and within it, there are the various xrefs.

No, you aren't hearing me. The title block and border are part of the original master template (.DWT) they are not xreffed in.

No, you aren't hearing me. The title block and border are part of the original master template (.DWT) they are not xreffed in.

Please let's use the same naming or it will be hard to understand each other, not sure what you intend for title block and border.

This is the issue I'm trying to solve: I can't XREF the LEGEND.dwg to the MASTER.dwg with relative path I keep on getting the error saying that only full path is available.

I've googled around and someone says that relativ path xref is possible only if the files are locally stored, but this doesn't make sense, as I always xreffed relative path files situated in the network, as far as they are sitting in the same folder , one should be able to xref them relative.

Please for those who answer, kindly refer to LEGEND.dwg and MASTER.dwg naming.

Why don't you just move the title block and border that is in the Legend drawing to the paper space layout? All the layers, linetypes, etc. that are in the Master drawing are already there anyway. Then save as a drawing template file with the .DWT file extension? Now you only have one "drawing' to deal with and no need to xref one into the other.

There should not be TWO separate drawings. There should only be a single drawing template combining the contents of the master drawing and the legend drawing.

The client wants 2 drawings, so I have to give 2 drawings, this is not debatable. I agree with you, it's not smart, but this is what I have to do.

They want a unique legend, valid for all the charts and the master will have a different name for each chart and will be carrying the figures that will change from chart to chart, like the limits, in the paper space.

I was thinking You First have To perform a save action fso autocad can recognize the path it is in (mode)..

Done it already, still no relative path

Relative pathing works for me. Try doing a save right before you insert the XREF. If that still doesn't work, insert it as an attachment, save, and then change the pathing type.

Your title block is way too big for paper space and probably needs to be scaled down but that would depend on your company's standards. You can XREF it just like you would in while in model space. Maybe you aren't seeing it because it is so big it is outside of your zoom level.

You also have a couple misconceptions:

IME, XREFing is done in paper space more often than model space. Our title blocks are XREFd into 97% of our drawings.

XREFs do not have to be in the same folder for relative pathing to work.

Since it does work for me, I'm thinking some information is missing. Could you describe, in details, step by step exactly what you are doing leading up to failure?

Relative pathing works for me. Try doing a save right before you insert the XREF. If that still doesn't work, insert it as an attachment, save, and then change the pathing type.

Your title block is way too big for paper space and probably needs to be scaled down but that would depend on your company's standards. You can XREF it just like you would in while in model space. Maybe you aren't seeing it because it is so big it is outside of your zoom level.

You also have a couple misconceptions:

IME, XREFing is done in paper space more often than model space. Our title blocks are XREFd into 97% of our drawings.

XREFs do not have to be in the same folder for relative pathing to work.

Since it does work for me, I'm thinking some information is missing. Could you describe, in details, step by step exactly what you are doing leading up to failure?

Thanks RobDraw!

Yes i'll fix the title block, that's not the problem

about the misconceptions

Why you reckon that XREF has to be done in paper space rather than model space?

See, our project is organized the way i showed in the photo at the beginning of this thread, they want the title block in paper space with viewport on model space where i'll xref the data (xref from modelspace)

Step by step, I did exaclty what i mentioned earlier: I have open the MASTER.dwg and I want to xref the LEGEND from the master paper space, relative path. nothing more

Why you reckon that XREF has to be done in paper space rather than model space?

Because that is what you are being told to do. It is common practice for title blocks. Especially useful for larger projects with multiple layouts.

Have you tried saving right before inserting the XREF, as I mentioned before? I did exactly as you said and it worked. My guess is that something is happening as you open the drawing that makes AutoCAD think it has changes that were not saved.

I also, suggested that you insert the XREF with absolute pathing, save, and then change to relative. Have you tried that?