nightmare with Error: "DWG file is currently in use or is read-only"

cat3appr

and of course the file is not currently in use and is not read only...

I've already googled it and i applied the solutions that I found online:

- unchecked the "read only" in the files

- tried to delete the DWL and DWL2 file in the same folder as the drawing , but they can't be deleted, guess why? Error: "DWG file is currently in use" :///

anyone?

thank you!

There are two other possible causes for the problem as explained on the AutoCAD Knowledge Network.

1) User permissions or access rights.

2) Network timing, compatibility, or configuration problems.

Did you read through and follow up on those as well?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-DWG-file-is-currently-in-use-or-is-read-only.html

The problem has been the topic of a handful of threads here at CADTutor and I believe in most cases it was determined to be a network issue.

Edited by ReMark

Is that file being XREFd by any other files?

The fact that the DWL files cannot be deleted tells me the file is open somewhere, somehow.

Is that file being XREFd by any other files?

The fact that the DWL files cannot be deleted tells me the file is open somewhere, somehow.

And if that is the case then the WHOHAS command might be useful.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2016/ENU/AutoCAD-Core/files/GUID-7E20A4D7-EB74-4354-8ADE-7EF172F0E16D-htm.html

If that dwg possibly crashed, then the dwl files would not necessarily be deleted.

... but they could be deleted manually, which the OP says he cannot do.

There are two other possible causes for the problem as explained on the AutoCAD Knowledge Network.

1) User permissions or access rights.

2) Network timing, compatibility, or configuration problems.

Did you read through and follow up on those as well?

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-DWG-file-is-currently-in-use-or-is-read-only.html

The problem has been the topic of a handful of threads here at CADTutor and I believe in most cases it was determined to be a network issue.

yes thanks as I said I did already research and i applied what that link suggested, nothing.

I used the WHOHAS command and it said that it's me who has it opened. Of course it's not true :)

So i thought about erasing the .dwl and .dwl2 files, but they can't be deleted.

So each time i have to rename the file and open it again.

maybe CAD creates those .dwl files for a reason, but to me it makes no sense, they just create problems. i guess it's because of those that i can't open up my file, but i can't even delete them...

anyone?

Just to be clear. You can rename the exact file that you cannot open at the same time you cannot delete the .dwl files or are you taking additional steps like maybe copying the file or anything else?

What happens to the .dwl files after renaming the .dwg and opening the new drawing?

You also never addressed if the .dwg is being referenced by another file.

BTW, under normal circumstance, .dwl files do not cause problems. You are blaming the symptom without knowing the problem.

I think the problem is network related but no one at your company knows how to diagnose or fix it.

A .dwl file is a drawing lock file, meant to keep someone else from opening the file while it is in use by another person, and it should be automatically deleted when the .dwg is closed. It's a safety feature to keep users from doing something stupid like having two people work on the same file at the same time. However, if AutoCAD crashes or is not closed in the proper manner these files can be orphaned in which case, as long as the drawing file is not open at the time, they can be deleted with no ramifications.

This is either a network latency, or Kerberos authentication issue (due to time server mis-match?)... This is corrected by your Network/Systems Administrator.

Also, network share files showing as read-only in file properties, has to do with your Active Directory (AD) account permissions (or that of your OU, Security Group), and is a known issue for Windows Server domain environment.

This has nothing to do with DWL files... In before RK can sigh, and explain this concept yet again. :D

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?97232-Can-Not-Save-File-Drawing-Open-in-Another-Session

https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=50185.0

Cheers