2 identical drawings, one is 17 times heavier, why?

cat3appr

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out something about this title block. A file is too large so it can be downloaded here

It's the same title block ERS001_28GAS_LEG ASBUILT , one is 1348KB and the other one is 17263KB

the only action that I did to make it lighter was to copy the heavy one into a new drawing, save it as, and that's it, from 17MB to 1.3MB

Whilst I'd be curious to know what caused this size difference, my main goal now is the following: I have this new smaller title block which I need to replace on about 50 charts, as an xref.

the final chart dwg is made up by a series of XREFS, one of which is my title block

Screenshot - 24_07_2016 , 13_59_41.png

all the charts and the xrefs ( my ERS001_28GAS_LEG ASBUILT.dwg as well ) are sitting in the same folder, so I tried as follow: i replaced the large ERS001_28GAS_LEG ASBUILT.dwg with the smaller one, using the same name of course. I was expecting the charts to open up with the new smaller title block already xreffed and in place but it didn't work. the chart lost the xref, although it appeared between the xrefs in the drawing

Screenshot - 24_07_2016 , 14_02_44.jpg

How can I make this replacement in this scenario without altering the charts, without being forced to xref again all the +50 charts?

***Please kindly give me suggestions exactly on what I have asked, don't need alternative ways on how to do the job from scratch. I'm sure there are plenty of better ways to do this, but i have to stick to company's standards.

So I only need an advice on exactly what I've asked, thanks for understanding***

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dadgad

• rkmcswain

• BlackBox

• cat3appr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Use the XREF command to open your xref dialog, then try to RELOAD the xref in question.

It if won't reload, then highlight it, and at the bottom of the dialog, click into the SAVED PATH box, and browse to, and reselect it.

Then refresh or reload again, and you should be good to go.

Edited by Dadgad

Use the XREF command to open your xref dialog, then try to RELOAD the xref in question.

It if won't reload, then highlight it, and at the bottom of the dialog, click into the SAVED AT box, and browse to, and reselect it.

Then refresh or reload again, and you should be good to go.

but i'd have to do it for +50 charts, is there an automatic way on doing this?

You could use your ACTION RECORDER to speed it up a bit. Shouldn't take too long.

If when you open it, you see it has not loaded correctly, then skip the reload and refresh steps, and just confirm the new path at the bottom of the dialog in the details section.

You could use your ACTION RECORDER to speed it up a bit. Shouldn't take too long.

If when you open it, you see it has not loaded correctly, then skip the reload and refresh steps, and just confirm the new path at the bottom of the dialog in the details section.

never done it, not sure how to do it or where to find it but i'll give it a try.

The other thing is, anyone has an idea why those 2 identical DWG have such a difference in size?

If you run the commandline version of purge, by using -purge at the commandline, then select regapps first, then all, and watch the commandline history you will find out very quickly. I haven't done it on this drawing, but that is how to figure it out.

You can find the ACTION RECORDER in your right click shortcut menu, or on the RIBBON, at the left end of the MANAGE bar, as I recall. I don't use the ribbon, but I think that is correct.

action recorder on the ribbon.JPG

Edited by Dadgad

Causes of file bloat are numerous but most often the cause seems to be that the drawing has been edited in Microstation or content from a drawing done in Microstation has been copied and pasted into AutoCAD. Additionally, poor drafting habits and a disregard for keeping drawings as clean as possible via such commands as Overkill, -Purge, Audit, ExporttoAutoCAD and WBlock are not utilized. These are typically what I like to refer to as OIE...Operator Induced Errors. "We have met the enemy and they are us."

I'd say there is a 95% chance it's one of the three big bloat items (or a combination of them):

1. Regapps

2. DGN linetype bloat

3. Scale list entries.

A very good chance it's #2.

Open the 17MB drawing, and run the LINETYPE command.... are there any linetypes you don't recognize? (This isn't a perfect test, but if there are, it's a good hint)

What version of AutoCAD is this?

I'd say there is a 95% chance it's one of the three big bloat items (or a combination of them):

1. Regapps

2. DGN linetype bloat

3. Scale list entries.

A very good chance it's #2.

Open the 17MB drawing, and run the LINETYPE command.... are there any linetypes you don't recognize? (This isn't a perfect test, but if there are, it's a good hint)

What version of AutoCAD is this?

As Rkmcswain said... most sure is due to dgn linetypes. A drawing can easily be "infected" with this bunch of useless linetypes, that will remain on the drawing memory and will be completely invisible, it will cause other usual problems like deny the copy-paste from other drawings. I would try purging the drawing using this tool.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/working-with-autocad-civil-3d-2013-service-pack-1/td-p/3724620/page/2

ATK-PURGE 2013 will work in 2014 and 2015 as far as I know.

Even if the linetypes are not present, the data used to represent the linetypes (not a normal linetype definition) is stored in nested dictionaries, and only 2015 and later can purge it (or 2013/4 with the DGNPURGE Hotfix installed). If you're on 13/14 get the hotfix anyway, it will prevent this bloat from being transferred via copy+paste, etc.

Another easy approach would be to download for free the latest version of DwgTruView from Autodesk, and open the file in that, since the orphaned data and DGN flotsam will be removed when you open the file.

If you run the commandline version of purge, by using -purge at the commandline, then select regapps first, then all, and watch the commandline history you will find out very quickly. I haven't done it on this drawing, but that is how to figure it out.

You can find the ACTION RECORDER in your right click shortcut menu, or on the RIBBON, at the left end of the MANAGE bar, as I recall. I don't use the ribbon, but I think that is correct.

Please forgive my saying so, but if you'd prefer to keep your drawings clean from unnecessary RegApps without having to manually do so, or even just have them handled more efficiently than -PURGE, LISP, etc, please consider using my Free AutoPurgeReg App which does all of this automagically at drawing Open, and Save.

You just work, and it does the cleaning (of RegApps) for you:

https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=2136331629271009666&appLang=en&os=Win32_64

Cheers

BlackBox, that sounds like the #1 solution, by a long shot! :beer:

Thanks for that, downloading now!

That is kind of you to say, Dadgad; I hope that you find it to be as useful as I do in my own daily work.

I strive to save time where I can... By making a 5-10 second task, that's repeated countless times a year, more like a +/- 1 second automated task... It all adds up to more time spent on quality designs in lieu of housekeeping, which help me to get home to my family sooner.

Cheers

Record once and play. I've been using the same cleaning routine since the Action Recorder was first introduced.

And here I thought I was the only forum member who embraced the use of the Action Recorder! :beer:

Strange, though, I use it all the time, and like it a lot, I created a macro toolbar button for that commandline purge routine, would have been easier to have used the Action Recorder. :huh:

When was it introduced? I reintroduced my boss (he had told me that there used to be this great tool) who has been using CAD since the early 80's to it, in the right click shortcut menu, and he's glad I did. :)

Another easy approach would be to download for free the latest version of DwgTruView from Autodesk, and open the file in that, since the orphaned data and DGN flotsam will be removed when you open the file.

Even if this were true, it wouldn't help since you can't save the file using TrueView.

Even if this were true, it wouldn't help since you can't save the file using TrueView.

Good point rk, I stand corrected, thought that could be done.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :beer:

If memory serves Action Recorder was part of the 2009 release, which is only memorable to me, as it (2009) also included the PUBLISHCOLLATE sysvar, and AutoPublish mechanism... prior to 2009, we used to publish to DWF, and then use TrueView to subsequently publish multiple DWF to multi-sheet PDF (two-step process)... With 2009, we were then able to publish multiple drawings directly to multi-sheet PDF, via DWG To PDF.

:excited:

As an aside, 2009 was also memorable for being the first version to be Ribbonized - which was horrible, as it was unable to be customized at all, until +/- SP3. Haha