problem in assigning material in 3ds max to the blocks in autocad file.

sandycvl05

i have created an autocad file in which some block i have inserted for creating window which are repetitive in nature like window frame, window shutter and window glass. the file i have imported in 3ds max. the object which were create by inserting block are not separate but a complete entity. i.e the window frame, shutter and glass are not separate but a complete entity. whenever i am applying material to window frame, the material is getting applied to all the parts like the frame, shutter and glass.

please help.

Just switch to Polygon selection mode, select the polygons that you want to display a specific material and then apply the material.

Here's a video that demonstrates the concept:

• 2 weeks later...

please help.

I helped. I even created a video to demonstrate the procedure. Next time you ask a question, and someone replies and offers a solution, it's common courtesy to post back and thank them for taking the time out of their busy day to help you.

You're welcome. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...
I helped. I even created a video to demonstrate the procedure. Next time you ask a question, and someone replies and offers a solution, it's common courtesy to post back and thank them for taking the time out of their busy day to help you.

You're welcome. :roll:

Put that in your juice box and suck it. haha

• 4 months later...

It doesn't matter whether the object is an editable poly or an editable mesh, the procedure is the same as I described. Switch to polygon selection mode and apply the material to the selected faces.

Another option would be to switch to "Element" selection mode and then select the glass and detach it from the rest of the block. Then do the same for the shutters. So now you will have 3 separate objects, separated by material type. Then you can simply select each object and apply its material. This probably isn't ideal though. If you want to create copies of this window and use them multiple times in your building it would be easier to keep it together as a single unit.

But since the OP posted this question back in July and never returned to follow up and let us know what happened, I guess we will never know how he got on with this.

There could be another issue, depending on how the OP has his import options configured. His Autocad blocks could be importing as "VIZBlock" objects which would need to be converted to editable poly or editable mesh before materials could be assigned. Or he could leave the object as a VIZBlock and add an "Edit Poly" modifier to the stack, select faces using polygon selection mode or element selection mode and assign material ID's to selected faces. Then set up a multi/sub-object material which could then be applied to the entire VIZBlock object.

I have my import options set to derive Autocad primitives by: "Layer, Blocks as Node Hierarchy". This imports blocks as editable meshes.

This is why it's important for people to return and follow up when they ask a question. If the advice that was provided did not work, there may be other options or other issues that need to be addressed.