can't overkill this drawing

cat3appr

hi all,

I have this drawing, 12MB, so it can be downloaded here.

I worked on it a lot and i want to improve it a bit. I tried with overkill bit it keeps on crashing, not sure why. can someone give it a try?

i just don't want to purge empty layers yet because I still didn't finish with it

many thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cat3appr

• eldon

• RobDraw

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You've got a serious problem with polylines. You've got way too many points for the detail level of those charts. You need to find a way to refine those for your purposes.

You've got a serious problem with polylines. You've got way too many points for the detail level of those charts. You need to find a way to refine those for your purposes.

Negative, at this stage this is what I have to work with.

Can this drawing be overkilled?

Sorry about that, but the problem IS the polylines, as you are well aware of. That is why you are having performance issues. When you've got multitudes of vertices within scant fractions of an inch, you've got way too many. The performance issues won't go away until you can reduce the number of points to a reasonable amount. We are talking reducing them at least by 1/1000 and most likely more.

If the process is creating problems, treating the result only puts a band-aid on the issue. The real problem is the way that the polylines are being created. You've had a number of problems directly related to these. It's about time to focus you efforts in a way that will help you in the future, not the present.

Sorry about that, but the problem IS the polylines, as you are well aware of. That is why you are having performance issues. When you've got multitudes of vertices within scant fractions of an inch, you've got way too many. The performance issues won't go away until you can reduce the number of points to a reasonable amount. We are talking reducing them at least by 1/1000 and most likely more.

If the process is creating problems, treating the result only puts a band-aid on the issue. The real problem is the way that the polylines are being created. You've had a number of problems directly related to these. It's about time to focus you efforts in a way that will help you in the future, not the present.

Ok probably... so is there a way to do this in CAD directly? I'd prefer not to pass through excel.

Kind Regards

First. I agree with RobDraw. For what should be a rather simple drawing you have way to many vertices in your polylines.

Second. Overkill will continue to crash your drawing.

Third. If you want to reduce the file size try using the EXPORTTOAUTOCAD command or WBLOCK. I doubt that will allow you to utilize Overkill though.

Ok probably... so is there a way to do this in CAD directly? I'd prefer not to pass through excel.

Kind Regards

Again, that is the wrong approach. Fix the source, not the resulting output, or you will continue to have problems..

Again, that is the wrong approach. Fix the source, not the resulting output, or you will continue to have problems..

Ok, so how would you fix the source. I have this .xls spreadhseet, in your experience, how many points would i need for a decent polyline on my DWG?

Someone else will have to answer that for you, but I would think that some sort of averaging of the points would be the way to go.

Someone else will have to answer that for you, but I would think that some sort of averaging of the points would be the way to go.

i'll give it a try.

is there a way in cad to see the size in KB of a given part of the drawing? for instance if i want to see, within my chart, what's the size of that polyline?

How many vertices on average does each line have?

What size paper will the drawing be plotted to?

Would you even attempt to draw all those individual segments if you were doing it manually on a drafting board?

How many vertices on average does each line have?

What size paper will the drawing be plotted to?

Would you even attempt to draw all those individual segments if you were doing it manually on a drafting board?

it's not relevant how many vertices. See, i have to produce 5 charts, with scale 1:2000 ; each chart will represent approx 2KM of tube.

Please let me know, thanks

Be careful with averaging, because the points are not evenly spaced.

I am sure that you don't need all your data points.

InspectionNeeded.PNG

TooManyPoints.jpg

i'll give it a try.

is there a way in cad to see the size in KB of a given part of the drawing? for instance if i want to see, within my chart, what's the size of that polyline?

Not directly but you can WBlock it and get the file size from that. It won't be exact, but, for your purposes, it should be close enough.

I isolated the layer for the seabed. It has seven polylines on it. After exploding all seven polylines there were 162,076 individual lines. I'll bet that exploding the BOP and TOP layers will report back similar information. That's one reason why the Overkill command will appear to have crashed AutoCAD but in a test of one of the seven polylines on the seabed layer Overkill did work but it took over 15 minutes. To run the command on the entire drawing you would probably have to leave your computer running overnight and hope that when you come back in some 12 hours+ it completed the task.

Oops, forgot to mention the result of the overkill command. AutoCAD reported back "0" duplicate objects and 86,845 overlapping objects. And this was for the shortest polyline on the seabed prelay layer, second row, first polyline on the left.

In your drawing, you have four profiles, which are duplicated and split up into the four charts.

I exploded all these profiles and there are 645,593 individual lines. You do not need to map every grain of sand or lump of rock. Whoever took the profile readings should curb their enthusiasm

In your drawing, you have four profiles, which are duplicated and split up into the four charts.

I exploded all these profiles and there are 645,593 individual lines. You do not need to map every grain of sand or lump of rock. Whoever took the profile readings should curb their enthusiasm

ok thank you! look this is the file that originates the profiles ; the green tube is the TOP column, all the profiles are ordered by KP (kilmeter post) but the company expressed it in meters (pretty stupid ) which in reality a KP should be indeed expressed in kilometers, so 0.001 = 1m, so i added a column B where I divided column A by 1000. the seabed starts at KP 0.124 ( after 124m)

indeed i agree! i don't need all these points... now my dilemma is: i was given those profiles as already done... i wouldn't know how to plot them again from a smoothed / reduced version of this file.... any idea??

I isolated the layer for the seabed. It has seven polylines.....(/cut)

ok thanks a lot ReMark, we have established that these profiles are WAY too heavy... so how to reduce them in a good manner to be plotted for this 1:2000 scale?

I don't know any method to reduce the profiles in AutoCAD except by doing it manually.

Plotting the profiles as a polyline is very quick, so that is where I would start by inspecting the data, but again I would do that by hand.

I don't know any method to reduce the profiles in AutoCAD except by doing it manually.

Plotting the profiles as a polyline is very quick, so that is where I would start by inspecting the data, but again I would do that by hand.

ok and how would you plot this polyline from this CSV where I have the distance in my X and the depth in my Y?