Lines with radius corners.

muzicman82

Hi all,

I do a lot of three-line flow diagrams for AV, probably more than anything else.

If I draw a PL between two points with some 90-degree corners, then radius those with FILLET (radius 1/16"), it seems I'm kind of stuck with that the way it is. If I drag the stretch grips to reposition the PL, the corners go wack and FIL, P doesn't fix it. FIL will work again if I do two line segments, but then I often have to do that 2-4 times per Polyline.

Is there a way to have radius corners on lines or PL and still be able to stretch/position them without the corners being affected at all? This is probably more like AV design software than CAD.

I'm just using AUTOCAD 2016.. not MEP or anything.

I would not recommend the use of grips for the purposes of stretching. I'd use the Stretch command instead and make sure that all the necessary geometry falls within the stretch window.

Why not? When you're doing flow diagrams (Visio style, just a little more advanced), grips make it really easy to rearrange "wires".

I'm with ReMark and would use the stretch command, if it is possible.

Another option would be multiple grip editing. Use the shift key to select multiple grips and they will all move. So, select the all three in the arcs and they won't go wonky on you when you stretch.

Right, so I don't follow what you're telling me to do. Even if I use stretch, it doesn't seem to have any effect on a single polyline.

RobDraw gave the best advice I think there is. Unfortunately one cannot expect Visio and AutoCAD to act similar when the target audiences are different.

I understand this.. was just wondering "if there was a way". What about a way to do FIL, P on multiple polylines simultaneously? What about removing rounded corners or fillets? If those were possible, I could do QSEL on grabbing all polylines, and applying FIL, P on all of them.

How do you select the arcs and then stretch with the grip? Selecting the polyline selects the whole thing.

It would be easier for you to do a search for "multiple grip editing" than it would be for me to explain it here.

Here's an idea. Don't radius your polylines until you're done "adjusting" all your lines.

Came here to say this ^^^^^^

Also, set up a tool to quickly set plines back to 0 fillet, grip stretch, another tool to fillet the pline.

A way around a couple of lines of code 3 mini macros

; draw your pline and set fillets must be done straight after draw pline
(defun c:edfil625 ( )
(setvar 'filletrad 0.0625)
(command "_.fillet" "_polyline" (entlast)) ; this will put a rad on all corners
)

; ok now you want to change
(defun c:edfil0 ()
(setvar 'filletrad 0.0)
(command "_.fillet" "_polyline" (setq obj (entsel))) ; removes exsiting rad form pline and remembers it
)

; drag your lines !!!!! 

(defun c:edfilobj ()
(setvar 'filletrad 0.0625)
(command "_.fillet" "_polyline" obj)  ; edits the fillet for the dragged obj again
)