3D Orbit for One object(s) DOES not work

ngohil

I have recently installed AutoCAD2017 and I am finding that when you select a single object first or multiple objects in an assembly of 3d parts, then apply the 3D orbit command. Normally ONLY the selected objects become visible and you can rotate and view them.

This is not NOT happening now, the whole assembly is visible and rotates, bit pointless and meaning less.

Can somebody help please!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Robert Newton

• Cad64

• ngohil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many thanks guy's

The ORBITAUTOTARGET set to 1 has solved the above problem. Only selected objects prior to using the ORBIT command are visible during rotation.

I have noticed it also works for a block in the selection too.

Thanks CAD64

• 5 months later...

I have changed the ORBITAUTOTARGET to 1 and as NGOHIL says the selected object(s) are all that are visible, but when I do the orbit on the 'single object' it rotates the other objects as well. Anyone have any other ideas to get one object to line up with another object as desired?

Are you trying to Orbit around your objects to see them from a different angle or are you trying to rotate an object? Orbit and Rotate are two completely different operations.

If you want to rotate an object, trying using the ROTATE3D command or the 3DROTATE command.

Cad, I am doing my best to get the handle one the ceramic housing (the red or orange) and having a helluva time this being my first attempt at 3D. And while I got you and u may be looking at the drawing u will probably notice I was successful in putting holes (one on other side as well) in the blue part. I need to duplicate that about 1/2" up from the existing one (that happens on both sides as well. And further more , there needs to be a 1/2" square hole to the left of those holes (near side only) about 1" over from hole center to edge of hole. You and others have been very patient and helpful and I really appreciate it.I have been working on trying to do this about 4 days and am about ready to pull out the rest of my hair. If you don't have the time or don't wanna fool with it I understand and again I appreciate you and others.

1st 3D Model.dwg

If you don't have the time or don't wanna fool with it I understand and again I appreciate you and others.

I'll try to take a look at this later tonight, if no one else has solved your problem before then.

I did notice when I opened your file that you are constructing your objects out of surfaces rather than solids. If you're serious about working in 3D I would recommend that you construct your objects out of solids rather than surfaces.

Re: 3DOrbit. I second what Dadgad recommended. Select object(s) first then invoke the command.

Re: Surfaces vs. Solids. I also second what Cad64 suggested.

I have watched several, (I mean a lot), of videos on how to do 3D but that is the first I have heard that. Now I gotta learn the difference in a solid and a surface and how to get to either or. I guess I did wrong by copying the original dwg. I made in 2D and revolving each component in 3D. Screwed up from the beginning I guess. Thanks once again Cad.

Indeed it is Re; I wanted to put some radii on the corners of the handle but couldn't get that to work either. The only thing different from my original 2D dwg. is that I had the handle about 1/2" inch lower than what u are showing. Thanks for your patience and help Re

The handle is a solid so you should be able to use the FILLET command to radius any corners. However, the upper and lower portions of the handle where you make contact with the cylinder don't quite match up to the cylinder's curvature. That would have to be fixed.

BTW...in some cases it is possible to use either the THICKEN command or the SURFSCULPT command (must be a watertight surface) and end up with a solid.

Re. If you do that for me and the other stuff I mentioned previously and send me the updated 3D dwg. I will be glad to pay for your services (I think) if you can provide me with an estimated cost.

Neither, Just a personal project I took on trying to accomplish for my own satisfaction. I have been retired for quite a few years and I am continuing drawing in attempt to keep my mind nimble. As mentioned before, I have been doing 2D for a long time but never 3D.

I'd be more than willing to help you work through the problem yourself as opposed to accepting payment for actually doing it. You gain the satisfaction of knowledge while I gain the satisfaction for helping you. I think the majority of us who frequent CADTutor on a regular basis would prefer it that way.

Sounds like a good plan, but if we were to do that do you suggest I start over and make sure everything is solid rather than surface. As I mentioned before (being ignorant to 3D) I just revolved the components (objects) from my 2D drawing?