Looping Xrefs?

"Mitch"

Not sure if this is how to pose AutoCAD questions. If not, please tell me the appropriate method.

I'm using several drawing files received from architect firms. These files are showing xrefs loaded into each other: A.dwg is guest file of B.dwg; while B.dwg is guest file of A.dwg. Why would they do this? I wish to separate all primary drawings and put them into one file, so that I may have a complete floor plan with no xrefs.

You could do a SAVE AS, to create a COPY, and name it appropriately.

Then open it and use the XREF command, once the XREF dialog opens, you can choose to BIND the Xrefs into the drawing.

Now that I think about it, you could also use the ETRANSMIT functionality, and email it to yourself, and specify in the ETRANSMIT setup, that Xrefs should be BOUND into the transmitted dwg.

Not sure if this is how to pose AutoCAD questions. If not, please tell me the appropriate method.

You posted your question in the Feedback section which is typically used for posting questions or issues in regard to the forum or suggestions on how to improve the forum. When you have questions about Autocad, you should post your question in one of the technical sections.

I have moved your question to the Autocad General section: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?19-AutoCAD-General

I'm using several drawing files received from architect firms. These files are showing xrefs loaded into each other: A.dwg is guest file of B.dwg; while B.dwg is guest file of A.dwg. Why would they do this? I wish to separate all primary drawings and put them into one file, so that I may have a complete floor plan with no xrefs.

I would suggest not doing this unless you know that there won't be any updates. First keep a copy of the files as they came in a safe place and work with copies. I would keep the files as is, except for removing the XREFs from each one. Ideally they should all be inserted at (0,0). If not, make note of insertion point and rotation of each one. Then XREF all of them into a new drawing created from your template. That way, if there is a change to any of the files, you can just remove the XREFs from the incoming file and save over the old file being used as an XREF in your drawing.