Assistance Required....converting 3d polyline to a solid

bennnn1980

Hello

I'm knew to all this so if my question is too basic I apologise.

I have what I believe is a 3d polyline of an object (boat). So when I open it, it looks like a series of cross sections of a hull with a few lines running the length of the hull.

I would like to convert this to a solid object, and I was told inventor would be the program that would be the best to do this. I've now got a copy of inventor and am lost!

So, could anyone advise me on how to convert this to a solid.

You have obviously posted to the wrong forum if indeed you are using Inventor and not AutoCAD.

What program was used to create the drawing in the first place?

In AutoCAD this is done using the LOFT command. Choose the cross section in order and the path. Most likely in Inventor there is a similar command. All these great Autodesk program call it differently but the basics are very similar.. Just search for the right words..

The initial drawing was done in a program called DELTSHIP a few years back. Due to some computer issues, all I was left with was a .dxf (which is not suitable for what I need done).

Anyway, I got a copy of AutoCAD as I thought that would be suitable. But I was then advised that I should try Inventor as its really good for 3D work. And that's what has landed me in this forum. So I'd take suggestions for both programs if they are available.

I'll try the LOFT command now.

Loft should be able to do it. The sections you describe, are most likely 2D Polylines, and one of the lines connecting them may serve as a PATH, when you want to loft them.

Make a copy of your drawing, and experiment on that, and be sure to go slowly, and read the commandline carefully, as you will learn a great deal about the functionlity by doing so.

Having just googled Loft command in Autocad, I just came up with a whole bunch, none of which I have watched, but this one is long enough, that it should help to get you back on the tracks, and to understand the uses and subtleties of the loft command.

Edited by Dadgad