Trigger autosave even if not idle?

vanowm

Hello.

As I understand auto save feature only triggers when user is idle for specified amount of time. Is there a way trigger auto save at specified interval, regardless if user is idle or active?

Perhaps a plugin of some sort?

Thank you.

Autosave does not depend on idle time.

If you have autosave turned on then it triggers, and saves a .sv$ file, after the interval set if changes have been made to the drawing since the last save.

(If no changes have been made since the last save, ie. the machine is idle, then there is no need for an autosave).

Even if the user is still working an autosave will be made at the specified interval, unless the user saves the drawing themselves.

When a user saves the drawing the autosave timer resets.

When an autosave is made the autosave timer resets.

The timer restarts again once a change is made to the drawing. (Which may be as simple as a pan or zoom, its still a change to what is displayed).

More about autocad backups, autosaves, and temporary files-

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Understanding-AutoCAD-backup-and-autosave-files.html

Oh. Thank you for clarification. My autosave folder contains sv$ files with 30-ish minutes intervals, although it set to 2 min auto save.

30 minutes is about the time I work between short breaks, so I figured it only saves while idle..probably coincidence.

• 1 month later...

As fas as i know autosaves only triggers when no command is active. It would be a shame if you are doing some long command and Autosave disrupts this process.

This is why at some point the drawing is being autosaved as soon as a running command is ended.

At times it also triggers on a select prior to issuing a command, or command start with nothing selected, but I have never had it go off in the middle of a command. That would be a disaster, especially since that is precisely when AutoCad usually crashes.