Block Will Not Change Color

ACV

I have a pretty basic block (circle around a number, only used in paper space) that refuses to change color. If I go into properties and change the color to white, it continues to display as cyan. If I change the color via BEDIT (I've tried changing it to bylayer, byblock, and straight up white with this method), it still displays as cyan. I've also tried changing my plot settings to try and force it to print black; I found a way to do so with some tinkering, but that also makes most of my other colored blocks print as black -- and of course, I need these other things to print in color. I do not have this problem with this block in other drawings.

Also, I would like to leave the block in tact if possible -- no exploding -- else I'll have many, many little circles that need to be exploded and changed manually. It seems like this should have a very simple solution, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas on how I can fix this very frustrating issue? Thanks!

You cannot change the properties of block objects unless you use the block editor. In the block editor, move all the parts of the block to layer zero (0), make sure none of the objects in the block have any properties other than 'by layer', and then save your changes. Just give layer zero the color "white" (NOT COLOR 7 White) if it is not already that color.

By the way, don't use layer zero for much else than for blocks you want to react to other layer properties.

IF you want the block objects to retain any permanent properties, like line type, etc. you have to set them in the block editor, otherwise everything will change to whatever properties the receiving layer is assigned.

Now the block objects will take on all of the properties of the layer they are inserted on. This only works if the block objects are on layer zero IN THE BLOCK EDITOR.

The reason some drawings are working for you, and some aren't is that block definitions live in the drawing, and the block is going by the definition in the current drawing. Some of the blocks may ve on different layers with different colors in some drawings, and some may be defined properly on layer zero.

If you insert a block from one drawing to another, and the definition already exists in the receiving drawing, the receiving definition takes precedence.

To get them to all work the same the easiest way, is to save the block in one drawing under a new unique name once it is defined properly, then insert it in each drawing that needs that block, as the newly named block.

Hi Dana, thank you so much for your help! I went into block editor and put both block objects on layer 0, and set everything to 'bylayer.' Now the circle portion of the block displays the color of the layer I have it on, but the number inside of the circle continues to display as the incorrect color. I've triple checked and both block objects are on layer 0, everything set to bylayer. Is there something I missed?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Hi Dana, thank you so much for your help! I went into block editor and put both block objects on layer 0, and set everything to 'bylayer.' Now the circle portion of the block displays the color of the layer I have it on, but the number inside of the circle continues to display as the incorrect color. I've triple checked and both block objects are on layer 0, everything set to bylayer. Is there something I missed?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Is the number in an attribute definition? If so, you will have to try ATTEDIT on it to change the attribute definition. Or, if it is simply a text object, it may have a color property set in the text editor. That may also be the case in an attribute.

If what Dana W suggested doesn't fix it, post a drawing here with just that block in it, someone here should be able to fix it for you.

To change the colour of a block in paperspace, the geometry in the block editor needs to all be set as "by block" for the colour. Then you can set the block to "by layer" or to any other colour, red, cyan, white or whatever.

"by block" colour is designed to give blocks that flexibility without needing to explode them.

• 5 years later...

I was having the same problem. I've searched multiple forums and for some reason, I couldn't find the answer. Finally I poked around and figured it out. So for anyone else searching these forums here is what finally worked for me:

1. In Modelspace, under Home Tab -> Block Panel -> Click "Edit Attributes", then select "Single" from the drop down
  2. Select the block that is having the issue
  3. In the "Enhanced Attribute Editor" dialog box that pops up, select the "Properties" Tab
  4. In "Properties" Tab set the layer to Layer 0 and the Color to ByLayer.

For some reason, setting the attributes to these settings in the block editor does not actually change the behavior. Only by using this "Enhanced Attribute Editor" could I get it to change. Unfortunately, I have only been able to do this for each individual block reference and haven't found a way to do it on the block itself so that it's always set that way. But to get around that, copy & paste the first one you change.