Binding large print jobs

Ski_Me

Not so much a CAD question but I have a large job I printed out of E size sheets and I'm having a hard time getting everything lined up to bind together. Are there any simple tools or tricks I could use to get these prints to look neat and aligned when I bind them.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ski_Me

• ReMark

• tzframpton

• rkent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you mean simply after PDF's are created, or do you want to do this in one pass directly from your CAD software?

If you mean after PDF's are created, then nothing beats Bluebeam for any type of PDF function. The standard version is good, but if you get the version for CAD then it adds a ton of integrated efficiency tools right out of the box.

No I mean after I have printed the sheets out, they are large and difficult to maneuver when you have 46 of them. Trying to get them stacked neatly and lined up is a chore just trying to find a why that works better than what I'm doing now which is treating them like regular stack of paper your trying to stack neatly only on a large scale and not working very well.

I would recommend Bluebeam then, especially the CAD version. Well worth the price if you can get it budgeted. It comes with many other useful tools that once you expose yourself to you'll find you can't live without.

As for a free or really cheap option, I would know, if you're looking for this.

Ohhhh you mean the physical sheets. Never mind! I'm thinking PDF binding. Sorry, disregard. :)

LOL I was waiting for the light bulb to turn on for you.

You aren't making use of a binding strip?

No I'm not using a binding strip, ran out a month or so ago and keep for getting to get more. But how will a binding strip help me align 46 E size sheets?

You never made/printed your own binding strip? Is this the first time you have ever assembled more than half a dozen sheets in a set? Mock up a binding strip and make sure to account for the thickness of the 46 sheets of paper that you'll be assembling. The other method would be to hole punch all the sheets and use a combination post and screw in each of the holes (three at a minimum).

An example of a binding post.

Binding post.JPG

We used these on highway projects where we would have upwards of 75 to 100 sheets.

Didn't think of making my own binding strip but wouldn't I have to punch each sheet one at a time if I was going to use holes? I want to use staples and align all the sheets at once. Thinking of making a jig that sits at an angle and you place your sheets in then shake it and let gravity do the work for you.

Be my guest. We drilled our holes by the way. Our large format diazo machine had a layout table with sides that could be raised into place to position the prints. Then it was just a matter of drilling the holes and sliding in the the binding posts. But you go ahead and build your jig and shake to your heart's content. Can we get a video?

I don't have layout tables to use or anything to drill my sheets with, I work with what I have and make what I have work. But trust me if I had access to some to tools you have I would be using them. So I don't ask these questions just for fun I have a job to do and I'm going to find a way to get it done. Every now and then a little help is all I need. Just need to think outside a the box a little that's all.

It's called a paper jogger. It will align large format sheets for binding and cutting. Clearly my company will not justify the cost of one of these machines since I'm the only person here that produces drawings but given the look of the design I can most certainly build one of these and adapt it for my own use.

4200-web-format.jpg

Mayline hanging clamps will work too. But unless this is strictly for in-house use you don't want to be giving these away.

BTW...both methods I suggested have been used for ages so I know they work.

It's called a paper jogger. It will align large format sheets for binding and cutting. Clearly my company will not justify the cost of one of these machines since I'm the only person here that produces drawings but given the look of the design I can most certainly build one of these and adapt it for my own use.

And what will you use to "jiggle" the prints?

Well I do live in Oklahoma and we have lots of earthquakes so there's that, but can never be sure when one is going to hit. I also work for a mechanical company and we have a lot of old fan motors that have been pulled out of AC units. I can rig up a system to shake the jogger and use a potentiometer to control the speed of the motor a little sweat and blood from the paper cuts and I'm in business.

Not too many tips or tricks for that one. I get them stacked as close as I can then lift them up and curl them or roll them up loosely and drop on the desk a few times to get them to align in the long axis, repeat for the short side. Have binder clips ready to temporarily hold them while you get the stapler in place.

I also print my own binding strips, I make mine twice as wide as needed, fold down the middle length wise, then fold each cut edge to the center and burnish the edge a little for a crisp line. I have them layed out CAD across a sheet and cut them off as needed, with the company logo, etc. printed on them.

That's what I'm doing too rkent and for D size sheets it works fine if you don't have to many but when you start getting into the larger size sheets that means the project is bigger and you have more sheets to deal with.

Well I do live in Oklahoma and we have lots of earthquakes so there's that, but can never be sure when one is going to hit. I also work for a mechanical company and we have a lot of old fan motors that have been pulled out of AC units. I can rig up a system to shake the jogger and use a potentiometer to control the speed of the motor a little sweat and blood from the paper cuts and I'm in business.

Works for me. Post an image of the finished product when you're done. Have fun.

That's what I'm doing too rkent and for D size sheets it works fine if you don't have to many but when you start getting into the larger size sheets that means the project is bigger and you have more sheets to deal with.

With large sets then I will get a quarter of the set lined up in the method described, continue with the other 3 quarters, and finally get them stapled. I only worked on a few jobs with the E size and hated those. Always referred to them as bed sheets.