Layers

SherryLF

Hi All,

I have made a layer for Trees using some blocks and some drawn objects. When I turn the layer off it doesn't turn all the items off. I have checked to make sure that they are all in the appropriate layer so I can't figure out why it':cry:s not turning all the objects off. Any ideas?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SherryLF

• RobDraw

• rkent

• tombu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, when I click on them (properties), it shows them on the layer I'm trying to close...how do I find the correct layer. It's not obvious. There is no indication its on another layer.

S

Ok --> Additional question. I can see that if I do a bedit - it opens the block and shows me that the block is actually on layer 0 so that is solved. However, if I edit the block properties...is this being edited in the block itself or is it just being edited on my drawing to put it on another layer (Am I permanently editing the block or just my dwg?). I don't want to edit the block, I just want it to show up in a specific layer so I can close it with the others.

Actually - I went into layer 0 to turn that off as well (which is where the block editor says the block is) and they are not turning off there either. =/

When inside the block editor you are editing the properties of the entities within the block, the block definition. These entities can be on any layer but for simple blocks like yours, it is usually good practice to put everything on layer 0 and set everything to "By Layer" so that they will take on the properties assigned to the layer assigned to that block.

After saving the block and inserting it into your drawing, you can assign the block to any layer. This does not affect the properties of the entities within the block. They have been set in the definition to take on the properties of that layer.

This is what you are after and probably the simplest use of blocks but there is much more to block building and tons of options.

Edited by RobDraw
Corrected mis-statements

Ok --> Additional question. I can see that if I do a bedit - it opens the block and shows me that the block is actually on layer 0 so that is solved. However, if I edit the block properties...is this being edited in the block itself or is it just being edited on my drawing to put it on another layer (Am I permanently editing the block or just my dwg?). I don't want to edit the block, I just want it to show up in a specific layer so I can close it with the others.

Actually - I went into layer 0 to turn that off as well (which is where the block editor says the block is) and they are not turning off there either. =/

The changes you make in that drawing to that block definition will be changed only in that drawing. If you are inserting that block from a palette then the block exists as a drawing somewhere. You will then have to either wblock the block to that location and replace the existing drawing or open the block drawing and do the same edit there.

You need to post your block here so we can see exactly what you have.

Need to see what points I am clear on and where I have a disconnect:

1) When you pull a block and save it to a tool palette - is it like a reference to the drawing I pulled it from? Or has it been saved as a dwg in the tool palette in my application program?

2) "By Layer" I understand that setting something by layer - it sets to the properties of that layer but I'm not seeing how to set a block reference to by layer. Under properties. it says block reference and under general, it says by layer > if I open the block (bedit), it shows me that the layer is layer 0, I can edit the block to the layer I want but it still is not changing the block so I can turn it off {in the drawing the layer is set to TREES, the block reference is set to 0, bedit changed to TREES so the reference now says trees but its still not allowing me to turn that block off when I turn off TREES. What am I missing?

BTW- these were not pulled from the tool palette - I copied them over from another drawing.

s

Might I suggest that you attach a copy of the drawing you are currently working on with the tree block in it? An actual .DWG file is what we need not an image. Got it? Good. Do it.

:PNot having luck uploading the file....is there a way to compress it? It's huge - its a village for the city of allen I'm working on ...I've deleted over half of it and its still not small enough - its about 2mb

:PNot able to upload the file due to size, even after deleting most of it...its around 2mb. Is there a way to compress it in order to upload?

S

I was able to figure out what was going on (kinda). I went through all the layers and turned a lot of them off/on to test them out. It looks like the blocks are drawn with different line weights (thin, med, thick - each on a different thin, med, thick layer). I have them all turned off at this time (which is what I wanted - however, this is still messy).

These are blocks given to me. I'm attaching a few blocks on an empty dwg for reference.

When I click on the block - either the layer or the block reference doesn't tell me that this one block was drawn in several different layers.

Block.Layers.sherry.dwg

Well - hell...ok yes, I see that inside the block, it does tell me that it is several diff. layers. Certainly, there is an easier way to do this without turning off 3 layers for one type of block?

How do I manage this so the blocks are on a specific layer that I choose that I can turn off (TREES for instance) and then without having to turn off all layers within the block as well?

Thanks!

S

I'm glad you got the block figured out. Now, apply that knowledge to what has already been said in the thread. In order to do what you want, you need to redefine the blocks as discussed earlier. Do you need help with that?

How do I manage this so the blocks are on a specific layer that I choose that I can turn off (TREES for instance) and then without having to turn off all layers within the block as well?

Thanks!

S

Go into block editor, select all objects, move them to layer 0. Now if you want some thin and some thick lines the way it was setup, simply apply lineweights to the individual objects. Save to exit block editor. If you place the block on layer TREE, then you can control them with just that one layer.

Say I have changed all 101 blocks I just entered in my tool palettes and in the block reference they are all on Layer 0 (because once I understand, I can follow directions!)

And then I start a new drawing and start pulling blocks from my tool palettes and I'm adding them to layer TREES.

I'm still working with 2 layers, correct? What is the best way to do this? In general, is it best to keep your blocks in layer 0 and work from both?

S

Say I have changed all 101 blocks I just entered in my tool palettes and in the block reference they are all on Layer 0 (because once I understand, I can follow directions!)

And then I start a new drawing and start pulling blocks from my tool palettes and I'm adding them to layer TREES.

I'm still working with 2 layers, correct? What is the best way to do this? In general, is it best to keep your blocks in layer 0 and work from both?

S

With that scenario you will be able to control the visibility of the blocks with layer TREES only. Building the block on layer 0 is normally where it is recommended because of the special properties of layer 0, which in this case means even with layer 0 frozen your blocks will still show as long as TREES layer is thawed and on. The blocks will take on the color of the layer as long as the color is set to BYLAYER when building the block.