Showing depth in side elevation

billydavies21

Hi

I've been asked to create a floor plan and side elevation for an extension of a house. I've done the floor plan but I'm having trouble with the side elevation. It just looks wrong. I think it's because I'm trying to show 3D in a 2D drawing and I just can't my head around it.

As you can see from the floor plan (attached), the section on the right slopes inwards. I'm having trouble showing this on the elevation drawing (also attached).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Paulo.pdf

Paulo 2.pdf

Paulo.dwg

Paulo 2.dwg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• billydavies21

• tzframpton

• ReMark

• MillerMG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

I've been asked to create a floor plan and side elevation for an extension of a house. I've done the floor plan but I'm having trouble with the side elevation. It just looks wrong. I think it's because I'm trying to show 3D in a 2D drawing and I just can't my head around it.

As you can see from the floor plan (attached), the section on the right slopes inwards. I'm having trouble showing this on the elevation drawing (also attached).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Scaled elevations are meant to be orthogonal by definition. I wouldn't try and show depth or isometric views as an elevation, because at that point it's not an elevation.

Show both if you can. But, to show something in 3D, it's best to make it 3D. As long as you're not running LT, simply use Extrude/Presspull commands to create the walls and give it a height. Simple solids can accomplish what you're after. Then you can rotate the view in an actual 3D isometric view and show it correctly. This way, the program does all the work for you.

Hope this helps.

-TZ

Paulo 2.pdf

Hi, thanks for the response. I've never had to do an elevation before so don't really know what the requirements. But I guess the clue is in the name! I've taken out the isometric view, which I was struggling with. Hopefully this will acceptable to the council. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help!

[ATTACH]58963[/ATTACH]

Hi, thanks for the response. I've never had to do an elevation before so don't really know what the requirements. But I guess the clue is in the name! I've taken out the isometric view, which I was struggling with. Hopefully this will acceptable to the council. Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help!

I am pretty sure you need a bold line where the two walls meet. Is the new door really going to be that close to the existing? I would think you need 4" (100mm) at a minimum to make the angle transition, finish the inside wall, aesthetics, etc.

A little too busy for my tastes. I'm referring to the extensive use of hatching that covers basically the entire drawing. The drawing is so busy nothing really stands out.

Dimension lines should not cross through text.

You might want to try using layers to your advantage. For example, the walls, windows, doors, dimensions and any text should all be on their own layers and try to avoid making everything the same color (white). Hatching should be on its own layer too that way you can freeze the layer if you need to print a "clean" version.

Speaking of layers. If you create a template file all your layers, text styles, dimension styles, etc. could already be setup and available to you immediately without having to recreate the wheel each time.

Will you be adding reference elevations finished grade, first floor, and top of ridge beam?

There are overlapping lines in each drawing which means you may have drawn two lines with ends overlapping when one line would have sufficed.

Edited by ReMark

Following on from tzframpton this uses thickness to give the impression of walls. The roof is 3d pfaces. Elevations are made from the 3d model by using individual viewports in paper space.

3dhouse.jpg

Oh dear, all of that went way over my head! The only thing I can answer is the question "Is the new door really going to be that close to the existing?". The answer being yes, as it's already built, he just didn't get planning permission first!

This is another "oh dear it seems I've left it FAR too late to get a drawing done, better throw money at someone until they get it done" type scenarios.

I actually enjoy making these, but not when I'm asked to get it done yesterday every time! Doesn't give me any idea to learn the proper way of doing things.

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial series or "AutoCad for Dummies" type thing that would be of use? Desperately need it as I have no idea how to do anything apart from draw lines, plot and cry about how little I know.

Thank you all for your support. Hopefully these plans will be acceptable. Does anyone see a reason why they would not be?

Generic AutoCAD tutorials can be found here at CADTutor and at another highly recommended website called mycadsite.com.

If this is the type of work you are going to continue to do in the future then I'd recommend either taking a course and/or buying a book about architectural design and drafting so you can learn the proper way to create these types of drawings. Some cities/towns will pretty much accept anything in the way of documentation while others may have very strict standards that must be followed.

By the way...there is no crying in CAD.

Didn't we cover some of the same topics (ex. - the use of layers) in the first thread you posted?

Didn't we cover some of the same topics (ex. - the use of layers) in the first thread you posted?

Yes we did. I was planning to learn at my own pace but, as I said, another "I need it done yesterday!" job came in, so I'm having to do the best I can with what I can currently do. As long as it looks OK and council accept it, no problem. I'll definitely be spending time learning more though!

While I understand the predicament you're in I do hope that "as long as it looks OK" will not be your guiding principle in the future.

I may know of a website where one can pay a small fee, less than $100 U.S., to learn how to create architectural CAD drawings. I'll see if I can locate the url if you're interested.

In the meantime there is this website...http://www.the-house-plans-guide.com/make-your-own-blueprint.html BTW...it references imperial not metric units however the same principles apply.

Of course that won't be my guiding principal! But in this case it has to be. As I said, I very much want to learn more. I'll actually be able to advertise this as a service, rather than it being thrust upon me by panicking clients!

I'll definitely take a look at the website if you find it!

billydavies21 where are you in the world ? As well as doing the tutorials you need to be aware of building standards. Whilst I can produce the 3d house very quickly it may not meet code as that is not my primary work task.

billydavies21 where are you in the world ? As well as doing the tutorials you need to be aware of building standards. Whilst I can produce the 3d house very quickly it may not meet code as that is not my primary work task.

I'm in the UK. England to be precise.

Yes we did. I was planning to learn at my own pace but, as I said, another "I need it done yesterday!" job came in, so I'm having to do the best I can with what I can currently do. As long as it looks OK and council accept it, no problem. I'll definitely be spending time learning more though!

I know the feeling all too well.

I just wish I was on your level of drafting Tannar!
Thanks for the compliment Miller. There are those who I wish I was on their level as well, trust me. But, I'm comfortable with my skills for what I do. If only I had more leisure time to do more of my hobby type of stuff... it's the hobby/labor of love type of things that really helped my game through the years.

:)

Thanks for the compliment Miller. There are those who I wish I was on their level as well, trust me.

:)

Like Cad64? His level of 3D drafting and mapping is awesome. I really enjoy looking at your work as well as his, along with others I can't remember off the top of my head. I think the one guy has the Hulk as his pic.