Mtext issue - text style overrides

I've attached a sample of some text we got in a CAD drawing from one of our clients.

For whatever reason, all the standard text is showing up as vivaldi text for me. A coworker said he was able to open up the drawing and everything was showing up fine??

If you look in the contents under properties there's a slash pxqc prefix that I've never seen before.

It's like Vivaldi was set up an override to the standard text style. So even if I change the text style to something else, the Vivaldi text persists.

So the only way I see to change it back to something different is to open every mtext in the drawing and change the override text style to something different.

That works but.... if there's some way to remove the text overrides all at once it would save me alot of time.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thank you!

-ChriS

ScrewyTextSample.dwg

Mtext holds the text style as part of the text rather than just using the default style settings you have to go into the Mtext and remove the style setting. Definately a lisp available.

The original text with each word set to a different style was "This is an example of styles", the dump of what is hidden, look at \f

; TextString = "This {\\fBell MT|b0|i0|c0|p18;is} {\\fDavid|b0|i0|c177|p34;an} {\\fBroadway|b0|i0|c0|p82;example} of {\\Fhfs_r1|c0;styles}"

A quick google http://cadsetterout.com/resources/stripmtext-lisp/

Edited by BIGAL

• 2 weeks later...

There's an easy way to fix without a lisp routine - bear with me.

So it turns out the pxqc prefix just reflects the alignment.

\pxqc - center align

\pxql - left align

\pxqr - right align

An explode will remove the style overrides but break the mtext down to individual lines of standard text. The resulting lines of text end up not being aligned so this isn't necessarily ideal.

After doing some digging, it turns out that if you are trying to open a CAD drawing with a font type that you don't have, Autocad has specific rules on how it treats this.

I'll try to post the Autocad font substitution rules in the next post (wouldn't work in this one).

In my case, for whatever reason, our client must have used a truetype font I didn't have. Windows considered VIVALDI text to be similar to the one used in the CAD drawing so it was substituted for all text objects in my CAD drawing...

Autocad doesn't necessarily give you any errors or warnings when the substitution occurs, so it isn't obvious what is going on.

One workaround is to get the missing font type from the client so Autocad won't push it through font substitution. This seems like it would be the easiest solution but may not always be possible for others.

Another workable option is to specify the FONTALT variable (by default this is blank). This can be found in...

Tools - Options - "Text Editor, Dictionary, and Font Names" (plus sign) - Alternate Font File - then click the arrow.

You can then specify a substitute and, if needed, experiment to see what might best match your needs. I used Arial, saved, and the next time I opened the drawing everything was substituted to Arial font type instead of VIVALDI.

-ChriS

Edited by ammobake