Performing a slice/trim on a roof object in ACA

tom111

Hi,

I am trying to draw a detail of a roof per the below:

Untitled.png

It is a slightly jutting out section of roof with 2nr faces parallel to the ridge.

Is it possible to draw this using the roof tool?

My idea how to do this is per the sketch below:

IMG_7195.jpg

The question is, how do I carry out my idea?

Just to confirm, you are doing this in AutoCAD Architetcure and not in AutoCAD LT as per your profile is that correct?

AutoCAD architecture

OK. FYI - AutoCAD Vertical Products is the forum to post to in the future.

If the roof tools cannot produce what you are looking for it could be done using the 3D modeling commands. Obviously more work.

Could this be achieved using the roof command? If not, could you please provide me a steer on how to achieve this with a solid model?

I cannot advise you one way or the other as to whether or not the Roof Tools in ACA can help you with your problem. I do not use the program. How long can you wait to see if someone familiar with the program provides you with an answer?

I could probably come up with a way to rough out the design using plain AutoCAD's 3D modeling commands.

Is this close?

ACA Roof design.JPG

Sorry but I have to go out into the plant for a couple of hours. The fabrication shop is installing one of my projects. I'll check back later. In the meantime maybe another forum member can offer up some advice.

Good luck.

I cannot advise you one way or the other as to whether or not the Roof Tools in ACA can help you with your problem. I do not use the program. How long can you wait to see if someone familiar with the program provides you with an answer?

I could probably come up with a way to rough out the design using plain AutoCAD's 3D modeling commands.

Is this close?

[ATTACH]59020[/ATTACH]

Sorry but I have to go out into the plant for a couple of hours. The fabrication shop is installing one of my projects. I'll check back later. In the meantime maybe another forum member can offer up some advice.

Good luck.

That's it nearly. The dimension between the two arrows should be zero though if that's okay

Capture.png

Edited by tom111
Subsequent reflection

Is this what you had in mind?

ACA roof tool2.jpg

Mainly constructed using the LOFT and SLICE (w/Surface option) commands.

OK. Off to home, dinner and a beer! Will check this thread first thing Friday morning.

After having my usual ten cups of coffee and looking at this again with fresh eyes I think the 3D model of the roof could be constructed using just the LOFT command. Once I have ACAD up and running I might give it a try.

If you're still looking for an ACA-based solution, I'd do it by producing two roofs - one for the main building and a second for the bay window.

dJE

Thanks ReMark, would you perhaps be able to share a file of that so I can examine and tweak?

Thanks danellis,unfortunately I don't have the smarts to achieve this by using two roofs although this is something I tried originally. I had issues per the below sketches when I did this however:

IMG_7258.jpg

Side topic: Is AutoCAD Architecture the only program you have access to? Usually, ACA comes as a suite that includes Revit, and these types of things are far simpler in Revit rather than AutoCAD Architecture. I know this doesn't solve the immediate issue at hand, but it's worth looking into if this is common work you frequently perform.

-TZ