How to measure a face that isn't strictly speaking bound by points?

tom111

Hi everyone,

I am trying to measure the gable face of a dormer that I have crudely drawn for measurement purposes.

Could anyone please suggest I can successfully achieve a measure of this, i.e. the area demarcated by the red "A"?

Thank you

measure.png

I guess once again you are using ACA not AutoCAD LT? If so you should change your profile.

So the roof is a what? A surface? A mesh?

Can you attach a copy of the drawing to your next post? Or at least a portion of the drawing?

I tested my method on one side of the large roof and was able to obtain an area but the number seems way too big to be correct.

Perhaps if you knew that the drawing units were millimetres, the answer would be correct, even though the numbers would appear to be huge if you were used to working with imperial units :?

I run into issues like this occasionally, The easiest way I've found is to not get fancy with it and just change the view so the face you marked A is on the XY plane. Then trace a 2D polyline over each edge snapping where you can. This will create a triangle of you can snap to easily for measurements since all the points of the polyline will be coplanar. Don't have a copy of AutoCAD at home but I made a quick sketch in Paint to illustrate.

PLINE Sketch.png

seemstobeworking.jpg

I have revisited this and now am able to snap to a 3D vertex which is satisfying my requirements. The measurement looks good when I change the angle at which I am viewing the roof.

Thanks for everyone's help.