Need advice on this one!

CEEinOrlando

Hello All,

Bear with me while I try to explain my situation.......

I am not sure if my title is correct because I have never had this issue with a DWG file like this!

This DWG shows four typical hotel rooms for a hotel. Electrical contract drawing

I open up a DWG and paper space looks great.

- In paper space the background is grey.

- Symbols are to scale.

- Limited color exposed

I open up model space and I notice a 180 degree difference.

- All four rooms are in color

- No grey background

- Each room seems to be a block

- Electrical symbols are not to scale

- I can explode everything

- Walls and electrical symbols are in 3D

What I am trying to accomplish is.....

- Get the electrical symbols to scale.

What I have figured out.

- I might need a LISP (I don't know how to use a LISP)

- Flatten doesn't work

- Scale doesn't work.

- I'm trying to avoid exploding everything and re scaling all electrical symbols.

I will do my best to answer all questions to my best ability.

Will attaching the DWG I'm having trouble with help?

Thank you,

Justin

What is the source of the drawing and have you contacted anyone with your questions?

Is it possible that layer overrides were applied thus accounting for the differences in appearance between what you see in model space and in the layout?

Is annotative scaling being used?

Why did you try using the Flatten command?

Were the objects in model space drawn "to scale" as though they were drawn manually on a drafting board?

Can you attach a copy of the .DWG file to your next post so we can have a first hand look at it?

ReMark,

Oops, good questions and thank you for your time.

What is the source of the drawing and have you contacted anyone with your questions? 2015 AutoCAD MEP, Yes with no luck.

Is it possible that layer overrides were applied thus accounting for the differences in appearance between what you see in model space and in the layout? I'll have to Google this one, TY

Is annotative scaling being used? Yes

Why did you try using the Flatten command? The walls and electrical devices are 3D. But flatten did not work.

Were the objects in model space drawn "to scale" as though they were drawn manually on a drafting board? Yes to scale

Can you attach a copy of the .DWG file to your next post so we can have a first hand look at it? My DWG is 1.80 MB, it failed loading, due to size. I'll try to resize it more.

Thank you

Justin

Well for starters the geometry in model space is drawn at full size which is the correct way to do it if layout will be utilized. It was NOT drawn "to scale" as one might do manually on a drafting board.

The one viewport over in the layout has been assigned a scale of 3/8"=1'-0" and the viewport display is locked which too is the proper way of doing things.

Yes, the electrical symbols in model space appear overly large. Maybe that was done on purpose? Anyway, if you click on the block in model space then execute the BEDIT command you can edit any of the objects in the block editor. When done save the edits before leaving the block editor. I tried reducing the scale of the GFI symbol by half and it worked.

Just to show you the block can be edited and the symbols resized. Note the size of the two GFI's circled in red compared to the others.

BEDIT EV A4 KING.JPG

When in MS simply set the annotation scale to 3/8", no need to edit anything. I might suggest using maxvp to go into the viewport, you will be in MS but you will be in the scale of the viewport each time so you don't have to keep changing anno scale if there are other scales being used in the drawing. MaxVP - either use the icon down near the lower right, or just double click on the viewport frame, to come back just double click on the wide blue border around the edge of the screen.

When in MS simply set the annotation scale to 3/8", no need to edit anything. I might suggest using maxvp to go into the viewport, you will be in MS but you will be in the scale of the viewport each time so you don't have to keep changing anno scale if there are other scales being used in the drawing. MaxVP - either use the icon down near the lower right, or just double click on the viewport frame, to come back just double click on the wide blue border around the edge of the screen.
+1 on this. The symbols are annotative. Leave them be.